[29 May 2010] Directory path problems with MAC windows OS's

Contains all messages from the Hollywood mailing list between 01/2006 and 08/2012
Matt

[29 May 2010] Directory path problems with MAC windows OS's

Post by Matt »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Sat, 29 May 2010 19:32:25 +0000

Schwmae??? (Hello, how's things in Welsh)

Firstly thank you VERY much for a truly REMARKABLE programme!!

I do though have some problems with paths on MAC and windows, is there a workaround to the backslash in these OS's filesystem please???

Diolch yn FAWR (thanks VERY much)

Matt Doman Matt Doman www.matthewdoman.blogspot.com
Clyde

[29 May 2010] Re: Directory path problems with MAC windows OS's

Post by Clyde »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Sat, 29 May 2010 23:12:10 +0200

Hi! And Schwmae? :-)

Someone from Doctor Who? And Merlin? Using Amiga and Hollywood? O.O Great! In which episode(s) of Merlin did you appear? I watched the whole first season in German some time ago ...

Regarding your problem: What exactly do you want to do? What exactly is the problem? Can't you just use the backslash when defining a directory? Or do you develop for Amiga _and_ Mac and Windows at the same time?

Sorry, if I don't understand exactely where the problem is ... :-(

Cheers!
Currently using: Hollywood 9 with Windows IDE and Hollywood 9 with Visual Studio Code and hw4vsc
Matt

[30 May 2010] Re: Directory path problems with MAC windows OS's

Post by Matt »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Sun, 30 May 2010 11:32:29 +0000

Schwmae??!!!!!!! Thanks for the response!!!

I did a couple of ep's of Merlyn back in 2008 I think, one of Arthurs body guards, did a good bit of swashbuckling and sword fighting!!! Ha ha ha Dr WHO is where I do most of my work though as all the MoNsTeRs! Lol started off with CyBeR-Men from the Ood right through to the new DALEKS!!!! Ha ha ha

Yeah the Amiga rocks man!!!! Wipes the floor with any other OS and Hollywood is like Superman!!!!!! Ha ha ha

I'm writing a programme to take care of Taxes and business turnover. Its starting off as one for actors, breaking down the assignments you do into monthly directories and keeping an eye on the mileage (this however will be expanded to a general business programme after), storing pictures, invoices and all relevant data that could be needed.

The problem I'm having is that the monthly fees are stored in a log file in a directory called monthly (in the programmes root directory) and then in sub-directories according to the month-with all pictures invoices etc stored therein. I.e. The path would be:

Home Directory:Fees/Monthly/<month>/

The path to currently OWED fees would be

Home Directory:Fees/Owed_fees/log

When I use an Amiga then the programme can utilize the directory structure just described, if I use a PC or MAC then it the programme cannot find the monthly log file within the directory structure. I believe its because of backslash in the paths. The MAC also winges about not being able to find times.font in 24!!! Lol

Diolch yn FAWR/ thank you VERY much!!

CyBeR-Matt

Ps I'm going along with AmigaKit to this London show from the 19-23rd June, I'm intrigued to see Timberwolf and the new X1000!!!!!!!

Matt Doman www.matthewdoman.blogspot.com
Clyde

[30 May 2010] Re: Directory path problems with MAC windows OS's

Post by Clyde »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Sun, 30 May 2010 14:27:06 +0200

Heyho, Mister Dalek, ;-)

thanks a lot for your comments on Who and Merlin. I guess I have to rewatch Merlin now. :-)

You programme sounds very useful and interesting! Will this be just for you or do you want to release it when it's done?

So, for the path problem. I guess there is quite a better approach, but here is a workaround.

First try to find out in code whether you run on Amiga or Win:

Code: Select all

ver$ = GetVersion() ; find out which OS is running this app
Then define your directories in a seperate "global" strings like that:

If ver$.platform = "AmigaOS3"
	fee$ = "Home Directory:Fees/Monthly/<month>/"
	ofees$ = "Home Directory:Fees/Owed_fees/log"
EndIf
Now you could do that either the same way with Windows but back slashes

If ver$.platform = "Win32"
	fee$ = "Home Directory:\Fees\Monthly\<month>/"
	ofees$ = "Home Directory:\Fees\Owed_fees/log"
EndIf
or you make it more dynamically with ReplaceStr(), where you replace the slahes with backslashes in the strings defined above.

Another solution would be to use FileRequest() to interactively get the path to the file. This automatically gets the path in the correct format.

I hope that helps or someone else gives a better solution. :-)

As for the MAC font problem there where discussion here on the list and maybe in the forum. Maybe someone that is more familiar with that topic knows the answer or you search through the older posts/mails.

Greetings Micha

PS: Man, I really would like to come to London, too. First, for the X1000, second for the city. Been there once, will be there again one day. :-) Have fun there and take some pictures! And take some Hollywood progs with you to test them on the device.
Currently using: Hollywood 9 with Windows IDE and Hollywood 9 with Visual Studio Code and hw4vsc
Matt

[01 Jun 2010] Re: Directory path problems with MAC windows OS's

Post by Matt »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Tue, 1 Jun 2010 18:13:00 +0000

Schwmae sir?!!!!

The programme will be for general release and if it can be helpful to others then happy days!!! Lol

If I put backslashes in the code as in

If ver$.platform = "Win32"
fee$ = "Home Directory:\Fees\Monthly\<month>/"
ofees$ = "Home Directory:\Fees\Owed_fees/log"
EndIf
Then when I go to run the script (through designer) it says "unknown sequence character after backslash! File:Cyflogau.hws (current lime: 79).

I haven't tried the filrequester thing yet cos the above was just easier and doesn't men i have to go through the coding changing it! Lol I WILL try though when I get chance and let you know!!

Cheers again dude AnGhEfYl-Matt (MoNsTeR-Matt)

Matt Doman www.matthewdoman.blogspot.com
airsoftsoftwair

[02 Jun 2010] Re: Directory path problems with MAC windows OS's

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Wed, 02 Jun 2010 23:15:29 +0200
Schwmae sir?!!!!

The programme will be for general release and if it can be helpful to others then happy days!!! Lol

If I put backslashes in the code as in

If ver$.platform = "Win32" fee$ = "Home Directory:\Fees\Monthly\<month>/" ofees$ = "Home Directory:\Fees\Owed_fees/log" EndIf

Then when I go to run the script (through designer) it says "unknown sequence character after backslash! File:Cyflogau.hws (current lime: 79).
You need to escape the backslashes. A single backslash always indicates a special character code following, e.g

\n  = newline
\t   = tab
If you just want a backslash, use:

\\   = backslash
\\\\ = two backslashes
By the way, Hollywood 4.7 has an OS independent DOS handler so it will also accept single slashes on Windows and backslashes on AmigaOS and vice versa :)
Matt

[04 Jun 2010] Re: Directory path problems with MAC windows OS's

Post by Matt »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Fri, 4 Jun 2010 14:53:09 +0000

Andreas you are a LEGEND sir!!!!! Thank you VERY much for the information on paths-worked like a charm!!!!!

Once again thank you VERY much dude!!

MoNsTeR-Matt Matt Doman www.matthewdoman.blogspot.com