[26 Nov 2009] Fonts

Contains all messages from the Hollywood mailing list between 01/2006 and 08/2012
matthias

[26 Nov 2009] Fonts

Post by matthias »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Thu, 26 Nov 2009 17:49:46 -0000

Hi, another question! When i compile for Windows i have a fontproblem. For example i use cgtimes font. Inthe projectdrawer i put a font drawer with cgtimes font. For compiling i say to merge the files in one exe. But after running the prog i get an error code can't finf font. How can i bind fonts that the prog is running under Windows? Cheers Matthias
Clyde

[26 Nov 2009] Re: Fonts

Post by Clyde »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Thu, 26 Nov 2009 21:28:29 +0100

Hi Matthias!

I cannot explain in detail now, but I just want to let you know, that fonts and Windows is a critical thing for Hollywood right now. :-) At the moment you cannot bind them into the exe, but Andreas promised to fix that in the next Hollywood release. This was discussed quite a few times here at the mailing list. And this leads me to the point that it would be _really_ helpful to have a _forum_ for all Hollywood users! There we would have a much better overview and so on. The German Amiga-Resistance maintains one. You can find it here: http://www.bboah-works.de/phpbb33/viewforum.php?f=38 Non-German speakers are welcome here, too! Don't hesitate to ask in English. Maybe it is a litte disadvantage that this Hollywood forum is put under some other German amiga threads. I know, Andreas don't want to have a forum, but I think it is time to have one. The survey also tells that. I can imagine that Andreas don't want to host one, but I am sure the folks at Amiga-Resistance would set up an whole new and separate one with its own URL. What do you think?

Then, do you use a ttf? Be sure the path to the font is correct. Does it work under AmigaOS?

Greetings, Micha (just came out of the woodwork a little bit for now)
Currently using: Hollywood 9 with Windows IDE and Hollywood 9 with Visual Studio Code and hw4vsc
matthias

[26 Nov 2009] Re: Fonts

Post by matthias »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Thu, 26 Nov 2009 20:53:15 -0000

Hi, i bought Hollywood and Designer for some special reasons. It was claimed as easy and powerfull. But for my experience now. It's NOT. It's not a Freewaretool. I spent a lot of money. Lot of BASIC functions are missing. Everytime i do some small simple app it's not working. And for the the claim that you can compile for different platforms, it's not really true. You can compile, but most apps wont work. For me it's most important that Designer is working properly. Cheers
Clyde

[26 Nov 2009] Re: Re: Fonts

Post by Clyde »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Thu, 26 Nov 2009 22:26:59 +0100

Hi Matthias,

oh, I am sorry to here that. :-( I really do think that it is powerful!

What of basic functions do you miss?

What exactly does not work with your apps, on what systems? Please provide us with more information. The people here at the list help a lot! So I am sure most of your problems can be solved! Or is it "just" the font problem?

I hope we can help you!

Cheers, Micha
Currently using: Hollywood 9 with Windows IDE and Hollywood 9 with Visual Studio Code and hw4vsc
Allanon

[27 Nov 2009] Re: Fonts

Post by Allanon »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Fri, 27 Nov 2009 08:37:54 -0000

Simply: I'm not agree with you... Hollywood has enought power to do whatever you want except 3D, please give us code samples so we can help you to achieve what you are trying to do. I'm really happy with Hollywood beacause:

- It's powerfull
- It's rock-solid
- Has a Lua-like language
- The main developer, Andreas, is kind and try to help us soon as possible
- Is Fast
- Has FULL cross platform compiling ability

Regards, Fabio
Tarzin

[27 Nov 2009] Re: Re: Fonts

Post by Tarzin »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Fri, 27 Nov 2009 11:53:18 +0100

Hello!

Don't be angry! Hollywood is a great software which is always supported. Some functions are (may be) missing or will (may) be included in the next version but many thing can be done in another way (some tips can sometimes help). eg: you can solve missing functions in designer with adding some hollywood code.

Andreas keeps to maintain Hollywood and Designer. Next versions will be surely better.

Try to get help here, you'll probably find solutions to your problems.

Bye

Tarzin
A500 / A600 / A1200 / SAM440
WinUAE OS3.9 (AmiKit) / OS4.1FE (FlowerPot)
---
https://twitter.com/TarzinCDK
matthias

[27 Nov 2009] Re: Fonts

Post by matthias »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Fri, 27 Nov 2009 17:01:36 -0000

After one day fiddling around with Designer, i guess that there is a compiler error in designer. i made a simple animation with some text on. When copiled in Designer as Windows.exe the prog told me that the font doesn't matter which i used is not available . even if i put it in the Font drawer. After compiling in HollywoodGui everything works well.
airsoftsoftwair

[28 Nov 2009] Re: Fonts

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Sat, 28 Nov 2009 12:06:14 +0100
Hi, another question! When i compile for Windows i have a fontproblem. For example i use cgtimes font. Inthe projectdrawer i put a font drawer with cgtimes font. For compiling i say to merge the files in one exe. But after running the prog i get an error code can't finf font. How can i bind fonts that the prog is running under Windows?
Currently, fonts cannot be linked into executables. They always need to be kept external. This will change with the next version of Hollywood, however.

Currently, it's a little bit more complicated. You have to distinguish between two different font types:

1) Amiga bitmap fonts: these are the ones that have a .font descriptor file AND a corresponding directory containing bitmaps for the different font sizes. An Amiga bitmap font will look like this:

Code: Select all

FONTS:goudyb.font
FONTS:goudyb/23
FONTS:goudyb/48
Amiga bitmap fonts do not need to be installed. You can simply copy them to FONTS: or you can copy them into a directory called "Fonts" that must reside in your program's directory. As Mac OS and Windows don't have a "FONTS:" assign, you need to create a directory called "Fonts" in your program's directory. E.g., to use the goudyb font in your Windows program, copy them to a subdirectory in your program's path:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\MyCoolProgram\MyCoolProgram.exe
C:\Program Files\MyCoolProgram\Fonts\goudyb.font
C:\Program Files\MyCoolProgram\Fonts\goudyb/23
C:\Program Files\MyCoolProgram\Fonts\goudyb/48
2) The other font type is the TrueType font. TrueType fonts are entirely different from bitmap fonts and have to be installed first. On OS4, you need to use the TypeManager program that comes with OS4. MorphOS and AROS users need to use FTManager. Once you have installed the TrueType font, you can use it in Hollywood. On Windows & Mac OS you also have to install TrueType fonts before you can use them. Under Windows, you can simply double-click on the .TTF file and click on install.

---

How to distinguish between bitmap and TrueType fonts? Bitmap fonts don't have the additional .otag file. If you're using a font that has an otag file, then it's usually a TrueType font and in that case, you must install the font under Windows & MacOS first. Simply copying the font and placing it in a subdirectory of your program (as you would do with bitmap fonts) won't work in that case!

Another problem is that you tried to use CGTimes on Windows. This is probably not possible at all because CGTimes is not a TrueType font but it is an AGFA IntelliFont. This format is pretty obsolete and is only supported on OS3. So don't use that.

I admit that the font stuff is currently pretty complicated for people who don't know anything about font engines and stuff. But this will all be much easier with Hollywood 4.5 because that can bind all fonts to your executables and then these issues will be gone.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Sat, 28 Nov 2009 12:11:28 +0100
Hi Matthias!

I cannot explain in detail now, but I just want to let you know, that fonts and Windows is a critical thing for Hollywood right now. :-) At the moment you cannot bind them into the exe, but Andreas promised to fix that in the next Hollywood release. This was discussed quite a few times here at the mailing list. And this leads me to the point that it would be _really_ helpful to have a _forum_ for all Hollywood users! There we would have a much better overview and so on. The German Amiga-Resistance maintains one. You can find it here: http://www.bboah-works.de/phpbb33/viewforum.php?f=38 Non-German speakers are welcome here, too! Don't hesitate to ask in English. Maybe it is a litte disadvantage that this Hollywood forum is put under some other German amiga threads. I know, Andreas don't want to have a forum
I never said that :)

It's just that I think there's not enough people for several Hollywood forums and a mailing list. I mean, traffic on this mailing list is quite low although we have almost 100 users. If there would be 20 messages per day on this mailing list, I'd think a forum would be better but as the mailing list traffic is pretty low, I'd say that there's no need for a forum because it would be pretty empty anyway...
Tarzin

Post by Tarzin »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Sat, 28 Nov 2009 12:31:00 +0100

Hello,

I've tried to registered yesterday but I'm stil waiting validation for my account. An hollywood board would be greater, because we can see that most questions are the same (eg: fonts) With a board, you can have tips and faqs.

Is it possible on Amiga Resistance to open an english section? Merging german and english sections will be very difficult to follow. I've tried to read posts but my german is very limited! ;-) It would be greater for everybody if all skills were located at the same place.

Bye

Tarzin
A500 / A600 / A1200 / SAM440
WinUAE OS3.9 (AmiKit) / OS4.1FE (FlowerPot)
---
https://twitter.com/TarzinCDK