[22 Nov 2009] Couple of Newbie questions about compiling and designer.

Contains all messages from the Hollywood mailing list between 01/2006 and 08/2012
Bugala

[22 Nov 2009] Couple of Newbie questions about compiling and designer.

Post by Bugala »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Sun, 22 Nov 2009 07:10:29 +0200 (EET)

Links to files im talking in this message:

http://www.ugalabugala.net/hollywood/Bible Memory RPG.exe http://www.ugalabugala.net/hollywood/Bible Memory RPG.hwd http://www.ugalabugala.net/hollywood/Bible Memory RPG.hws

First file .exe is win32 exe of the program im trying to compile.

.hwd and .hws im putting since i dont know how else to show you the problems since it seems the compiling isnt working properly.

So first problem.

I am using AmiKit for Hollywood usage and i have only used Designer on this project as im still testing around with it.

Im trying to compile PC executable, and it doesnt report any error at any point, but when i tried to start it by double clicking .exe file on PC, it keeps giving me error about afa FONT.

In Hollywood compiler i could do nothing else but compile it, but in Designer i found this option in "Make executable" that it asks wether to link files into it or not.

I tried both with linking (which i suppose is right) and without linking, but neither resulted in working file.

So how can i compile this program to work on PC?

Another question i have is Designer question. If you are able to run the program currently, (it reacts on click on quit to get it to quit the program) you can see that i have done on that menu so that everytime you move mouse over any menu option, it will highlight it by using Shadow. Now problem however is that to get that shadow i need to have that annoying block too.

So is there a way to just do the shadow without the block in designer? And if not on designer, then can i do that on code level somehow and how?

Also, is there option in designer to make effects faster? Since i want menu texts to come real quick on that menu. I suppose if not in Designer, then at least i can do that speedier FX in Code level. I suppose FX commands have some number attached to them which i can use to make them faster, right? And how?

And third question is about Hollywood GUI. As those example programs are handy way in that GUI, can i also add my own programs to that list, and how do i do that?

And since i suppose Andreas himself reads this message too, i have to say that im really surprised how useful that Designer is. I didnt suppose it would be this useful program.

Oh, and you mentioned in one other message about new designer being in works. Any plans on release yet? in one month? Half year? two years time?

After seeing how useful even current designer version is, im really looking forward to that new version.
ArtBlink

[22 Nov 2009] Re: Couple of Newbie questions about compiling and designer.

Post by ArtBlink »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Sun, 22 Nov 2009 17:30:33 +0000 (GMT)

Hello

I think you must install font in your PC, the same you use in your hollywood programm.

I don't testcompile my hollywood program on PC, but i think it's this solution.

Respect
Bugala

[22 Nov 2009] Re: Couple of Newbie questions about compiling and designer.

Post by Bugala »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Sun, 22 Nov 2009 18:24:25 -0000

thanks from reply.
I think you must install font in your PC, the same you use in your hollywood programm.
So how do i do this?

I mean that if im going to make a game taht i distribute, then how do iensure this font is included in the package so that every player wont need to go to internet to find that font and install it in their machines?

For i thought that linking thing option would link that font into that exe or something.
airsoftsoftwair

[23 Nov 2009] Re: Couple of Newbie questions about compiling and designer.

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Mon, 23 Nov 2009 11:37:33 +0100
Links to files im talking in this message:

http://www.ugalabugala.net/hollywood/Bible Memory RPG.exe http://www.ugalabugala.net/hollywood/Bible Memory RPG.hwd http://www.ugalabugala.net/hollywood/Bible Memory RPG.hws

First file .exe is win32 exe of the program im trying to compile.

.hwd and .hws im putting since i dont know how else to show you the problems since it seems the compiling isnt working properly.

So first problem.

I am using AmiKit for Hollywood usage and i have only used Designer on this project as im still testing around with it.

Im trying to compile PC executable, and it doesnt report any error at any point, but when i tried to start it by double clicking .exe file on PC, it keeps giving me error about afa FONT.

In Hollywood compiler i could do nothing else but compile it, but in Designer i found this option in "Make executable" that it asks wether to link files into it or not.

I tried both with linking (which i suppose is right) and without linking, but neither resulted in working file.

So how can i compile this program to work on PC?
Oh, the font issue once again :) This question has come up a lot so I'll make sure it will be discussed in the Hollywood guide starting with the next version. Here's a copy & paste on how to get fonts working on Win32:

Code: Select all

1) Amiga bitmap fonts: these are the ones that have a .font descriptor file
AND a corresponding directory containing bitmaps for the different font
sizes. An Amiga bitmap font will look like this:

FONTS:goudyb.font
FONTS:goudyb/23
FONTS:goudyb/48

Amiga bitmap fonts do not need to be installed. You can simply copy
them to FONTS: or you can copy them into a directory called "Fonts"
that must reside in your program's directory. As Mac OS and Windows don't
have a "FONTS:" assign, you need to create a directory called "Fonts"
in your program's directory. E.g., to use the goudyb font in your Windows
program, copy them to a subdirectory in your program's path:

C:\Program Files\MyCoolProgram\MyCoolProgram.exe
C:\Program Files\MyCoolProgram\Fonts\goudyb.font
C:\Program Files\MyCoolProgram\Fonts\goudyb/23
C:\Program Files\MyCoolProgram\Fonts\goudyb/48

2) The other font type is the TrueType font. TrueType fonts are entirely
different from bitmap fonts and have to be installed first. On OS4, you
need to use the TypeManager program that comes with OS4. MorphOS
and AROS users need to use FTManager. Once you have installed the
TrueType font, you can use it in Hollywood. On Windows & Mac OS
you also have to install TrueType fonts before you can use them. Under
Windows, you can simply double-click on the .TTF file and click on
install.
Now the good news is that the next Hollywood will have a @FONT preprocessor command which allows you to link all fonts right into the applet/executable. Then all font worries will be gone :)
So is there a way to just do the shadow without the block in designer? And if not on designer, then can i do that on code level somehow and how?
I'd suggest to use a brush with alpha channel to get rid of the block.
Also, is there option in designer to make effects faster? Since i want menu texts to come real quick on that menu. I suppose if not in Designer, then at least i can do that speedier FX in Code level. I suppose FX commands have some number attached to them which i can use to make them faster, right? And how?
Yes, check the documentation of DisplayBrushFX(). Currently, you cannot specify a speed number directly in Designer. But this will be possible in the next version.
And third question is about Hollywood GUI. As those example programs are handy way in that GUI, can i also add my own programs to that list, and how do i do that?
Currently not possible.
And since i suppose Andreas himself reads this message too, i have to say that im really surprised how useful that Designer is. I didnt suppose it would be this useful program.
Oh, and you mentioned in one other message about new designer being in works. Any plans on release yet? in one month? Half year? two years time?
No schedule yet except that Hollywood 4.5 will be the next release :)
critonsgate

[23 Nov 2009] Re : Couple of Newbie questions about compiling and designer.

Post by critonsgate »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Mon, 23 Nov 2009 11:29:21 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,

In the next version the fonts problem will be gone !

Thanks Andreas for that, i have the same problem here.

Regards. Christophe.