[19 May 2008] Coding Interface controls for Hollywood (applet uploaded)

Contains all messages from the Hollywood mailing list between 01/2006 and 08/2012
TheMartian

[19 May 2008] Coding Interface controls for Hollywood (applet uploaded)

Post by TheMartian »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Mon, 19 May 2008 19:19:20 -0000

Hi

For those interested in this subject I have uploaded an applet showing what can be done currently with a set of functions I have written over the last few months. The controls appear 'lean and mean', but are written inside a framework that allows for fast development of new controls. There is also an example on how to initialize controls inside a program once you have the include files available in your program. I have no problem providing the source code if there is interest - though I warn you... it changes all the time :-)

Go to the files section and download the three files from the ItemList folder. Then Start the Hollywood GUI and 'display' the main.hwa file. It was created on an XE Amiga with the current version of OS4.

Files: main.hws (the applet), main.hws (don't run this. It just demonstrates initialization code.) and a readme.txt file

regards Jesper

Clyde

[19 May 2008] Re: Coding Interface controls for Hollywood (applet uploaded)

Post by Clyde »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Mon, 19 May 2008 23:00:20 +0200

Hi Jesper,

thanks for uploading the applet! It is great to have/see some real controls now within hollywood. Great work so far! It seems that you will compete with Fabios SCUI ... :-) Well, I know several people who would use such a library for there projects now, so sharing the source would be cool. But would it then be ok, if these people would give your code to others in releasing their software which uses your control?

Well, I think it really should be a high prio task for Andreas to make it possible to include complete hwa's ...

@Andreas: It took me some time and headaches to start Jespers hwa via the GUI. :-/ I normally don't use the GUI, but this time I wanted to try it. It would be cool, if you could add ".hwa" to the pattern when the "start a script" dialog opens.

Thanks folks, Micha
Currently using: Hollywood 8 with Visual Studio Code and hw4vsc

TheMartian

[20 May 2008] Re: Coding Interface controls for Hollywood (applet uploaded)

Post by TheMartian »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Tue, 20 May 2008 20:21:38 -0000

If others want to look at the code and mess around with it as it is of today I don't mind. As I mentioned in the previous mail, it is likely to change often and radically whenever I think of some other way of doing the same thing with less code or faster or implement new facilities. So it is a work very much in progress. :-)

As for Fabios SCUI there is no competition. Judging from his video he has put a lot more efforts into it with plenty of controls in glorious colours and much functionality. I go for basic controls that you can play around with and enhance yourself as a hobbyist. If in the end my code grows into something on the scale of SCUI it will just mean that others can pick and choose what works best for them in the situation at hand. For now I look forward to see SCUI live and try it out.

So maybe this is the place to ask Andreas F. if he has some scheme for distributing projects like this different from me just uploading the source to the same place as the applet.

regards Jesper

Allanon

[21 May 2008] Re: Coding Interface controls for Hollywood (applet uploaded)

Post by Allanon »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Wed, 21 May 2008 07:10:25 -0000

Hello there :) As Jeasper said there is no competition, just two project with the same subject :P Maybe we can benefit each other exchanging ideas, but continuing with two projects.

I hope to release a beta in the next week, actually I'm writing some tutorials then I will upload my work. Like Jesper's one my library need much work and optimization in many areas so code can change radically.
----------------------------
[Allanon] Fabio Falcucci
AMC - Creative Development // Docs Site // Support Forum
Support me on Patreon for Hollywood libraries!

Clyde

[21 May 2008] Re: Re: Coding Interface controls for Hollywood (applet uploaded)

Post by Clyde »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Wed, 21 May 2008 14:57:09 +0200

Hi there!

Just to be sure: I didn't mean it serious with the competition. :-) I am looking forward to both of the libraries.

Jesper, is it ok, if I upload your GUI-Testapplet, the hws and the readme here: http://amiga-resistance.info/center/index.php?kat_id=17 This is the upload/download section of Amiga Resistance and its Hollywood fanbase. There are people, that are not members of the mailing list, that have no access to the files. And with this way more people could have a look at it. What do you think?

Thanks and cheers Micha
Currently using: Hollywood 8 with Visual Studio Code and hw4vsc

p-OS

[21 May 2008] RE: Re: Coding Interface controls for Hollywood (applet uploaded)

Post by p-OS »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Wed, 21 May 2008 15:15:10 +0200

Uploading the files to the files section of the Hollywood Forum is a good idea.

Additionally having a subdir at Aminet would be nice, too. Path dev/hollywood

For public extensions of the language I'd suggest having a common naming scheme and location.

Instead of putting includes in the directory of every program that makes use of them, having a common location would be useful, e.g. Hollywood:Includes/

As extensions of different people might havce the same filenames, they should be in unique subpath. This could be achievable by using domain names.

Example: Hollywood:Includes/dk.pederson.www/myguisystem/gui.hws Hollywood:Includes/dk.pederson.www/myguisystem/helper_functions.hws

Regards, Jean

TheMartian

Post by TheMartian »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Wed, 21 May 2008 20:42:43 -0000

Hi

Yes, having some sort of systematic approach to storing the files sounds like a good idea. For now though I'll just put the files up at the files location on this site. What i currently have is two or three include files with the basic framework and an include file for each control. This also means that apart from the framework includes you only need the include files for those controls you will use in your application. Check out what I have uploaded to see what I mean.

As for Aminet... perhaps we should give it a few weeks within this group to see if it just works for me or it actually can run for others as well. Even buggy code always work for the coder who knows what not to do :-)

regards Jesper

TheMartian

Post by TheMartian »

Note: This is an archived post that was originally sent to the Hollywood mailing list on Wed, 21 May 2008 21:03:38 -0000

Hi

Yes, please go ahead and upload the applet and the other files you mention. It will do as a proof of concept that you can have 'boring' controls for everyday use and not just use Hollywood for presentations, as some seems to think, and in this way hopefully cause some more interest in Hollywood. In fact I started this project precisely because I needed such controls before doing much else on other potential projects.

regards Jesper