Non-FPU Polybios crashes without FPU

Discuss PDF file handling with the Polybios plugin here
jPV

Non-FPU Polybios crashes without FPU

Post by jPV »

I'm trying to use Polybios on 68k without FPU, but it seems to crash even though I compile it as non-FPU and use non-FPU versions of required libraries and Polybios. Same code works on setups with FPU, and can be reproduced on UAE just by enabling/disabling FPU on its CPU config.

Hollywood starts and can even open a document, but then it crashes, for example, with the pdf.GetBrush. The Software Failure requester points to polybios.ext and fails with an error #8000000B (isn't this the same error which comes if you use FPU-libraries without an FPU?). So is the plugin still using FPU instructions somewhere?

Here's a test code:

Code: Select all

@REQUIRE "polybios"
@DISPLAY {Hidden=True}
ConsolePrint("Open")
pdf.OpenDocument(1, "Hollywood.pdf")
ConsolePrint("GetBrush")
pdf.GetBrush(1, 1, 1) ; Non-FPU version crashes here. Software Failure requester tells it's polybios.ext and "Program failed (error #8000000B)"
ConsolePrint("Done.")
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Non-FPU Polybios crashes without FPU

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Hmm, can't reproduce this here. Non-FPU version works fine when disabling FPU on WinUAE. What is your WinUAE version?
jPV

Post by jPV »

Actually I tried with E-UAE on MorphOS... and originally noticed this on real machines.

I have two otherwise identical setups of A1200/B1230-IV/32MB, but only the other has an FPU. It crashes on the machine without FPU, but works on the machine with FPU.

Then I reproduced it with E-UAE just by switching the FPU on/off.

I now tried it quickly with WinUAE 4.3.0 too, but there it didn't seem to crash. Although I didn't have identical hw config on it... but tried with the same OS installation from my E-UAE.

I also copied my E-UAE installation on both real machines to eliminate some software difference, but that didn't affect and it still crashes on the machine without FPU.

So I don't know... it's worrying that it crashes on the real machine...
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

jPV wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:20 pm Actually I tried with E-UAE on MorphOS... and originally noticed this on real machines.
Isn't E-UAE quite outdated? Remember that there was a very recent CPU bug in the UAE core which was only fixed in 4.2.1. So all emulations based on an UAE core older than this are very likely to have this bug as well. By the way, I was the one who discovered it during Polybios development :)
jPV wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:20 pm I have two otherwise identical setups of A1200/B1230-IV/32MB, but only the other has an FPU. It crashes on the machine without FPU, but works on the machine with FPU.
Could be an out of memory issue just as well. 32MB memory is not much at all for a beast like Polybios. Remember that you're trying to run the PDF engine from Chrome on a 32MB machine here.

I don't have a real machine without FPU here so I can't check but what I heard so far I'm not convinced this is a Polybios bug :)