build errors with some version numbers

Please post anything related to the Hollywood APK Compiler here
amyren

build errors with some version numbers

Post by amyren »

I had this issue that confused me for a while.
Every time I tried to build an apk, I got the build failed message, although it did create a working apk.
I did have problems getting a stable internet connection earlier, so the adroid studio installation failed many times before it completed. Suspecting that the installation might be corrupt, I did install it on three different computers, but with the same problem.

It turned out to be my version numbering that generated the problem.
I did consider my first appemts as alpha releases, so I did start numbering them 0.01 and up.
It turns out that the compiler wil only accept one digit if the version starts with 0.x
So that 0.1 is ok, but 0.24 is not. And for some reason eg. 0.98 will fail faster than a smaller numer like 0.74
If the version number is above 1 it will accept more digits, eg. 1.31
airsoftsoftwair

Re: build errors with some version numbers

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Using uncommon version numbers is asking for trouble. I'd be very conservative with version numbers, i.e. starting at 1 and use just a single digit before and after the decimal point, e.g. 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 up to 1.9. I wouldn't use 1.10, 1.11, 1.12 because that might confuse the build chain because 1.11 is smaller than 1.2 but it is supposed to be a later revision than 1.2, etc. which might give you trouble. I think I should modify APK Compiler to enforce a conservative versioning scheme in order to spare you the trouble...
amyren

Re: build errors with some version numbers

Post by amyren »

That's noted:)
However, I don't think using numbers below 1 is uncommon for beta/alpha releases.

Looking at the wiki page for software versioning, beta releases could be numbered like 0.9 > 0.9.1 > 0.9.2 etc.
Currently apk compiler does not accept more than one "." so we are limited to 9 releases before release 1.0