moai.Request() behaves strange

Discuss GUI programming with the RapaGUI plugin here
airsoftsoftwair

Re: moai.Request() behaves strange

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Works fine on my MUI version (5.0-2017R1) so seems to be a MUI bug. I've reported it here: https://github.com/amiga-mui/muidev/issues/333
airsoftsoftwair

mrupp wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:10 am I'm using MUI 5.0.2020R3 which should be the latest one, afaik.
Can you check using the latest nightly build from here: http://nightly.muidev.de/2021-04-21-mui5/

It works fine here.
mrupp

Post by mrupp »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:03 pm Can you check using the latest nightly build from here: http://nightly.muidev.de/2021-04-21-mui5/

It works fine here.
Tried the nightly build, but no, doesn't work here:

Code: Select all

@REQUIRE "RapaGUI", { Link = True }
SystemRequest("RapaGUI", "Hello!\n\nThis dialog should show an information icon.", "OK", #REQICON_Information) ; shows icon
moai.Request("RapaGUI", "Hello!\n\nThis dialog should show an information icon.", "OK", "Information") ; no icon
airsoftsoftwair

Can you check if the images mentioned by Thore here are all there on your system? Have you checked with SnoopDOS if MUI fails to load some images or anything?
mrupp

Post by mrupp »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:19 pm Can you check if the images mentioned by Thore here are all there on your system? Have you checked with SnoopDOS if MUI fails to load some images or anything?
All requester images are present and they are properly displayed using SystemRequest(). It's only moai.Request() that doesn't show icons.
SnoopDOS:
- if using SystemRequest(), it reports successfully accessing SYS:Prefs/Presets/Requester/...
- if using moai.Request(), no such access is reported at all

Btw.: I tested this on 2 separate OS 4.1 systems, both behave the same.
What is the difference between these two kind of request-calls?
airsoftsoftwair

mrupp wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:31 pm Btw.: I tested this on 2 separate OS 4.1 systems, both behave the same.
What is the difference between these two kind of request-calls?
The difference is that they are completely different :) SystemRequest() doesn't use MUI for its requesters. It's handled by Intuition. moai.Request() OTOH uses MUI for its requesters.
mrupp

Post by mrupp »

mrupp wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:49 am BUT: The question icon IS showing if not using RapaGUI, it's only with RapaGUI that it's missing. Look at this:

SystemRequest("RapaGUI", "Hello!\n\nThis dialog should show a question icon.", "Yes|No", #REQICON_Question)
results in:
(the buttons have been translated to german, which I take as an indicator that this is a system request and not a HW custom one, correct?)

But this:

@REQUIRE "RapaGUI", { Link = True }

SystemRequest("RapaGUI", "Hello!\n\nThis dialog should show a question icon.", "Yes|No", #REQICON_Question)
moai.Request("RapaGUI", "Hello!\n\nThis dialog should show a question icon.", "Yes|No", "Question")
results in twice:

Still looks like a bug to me... ;)
Back to this one: this is something that could be fixed with RP 2.0, couldn't it?
airsoftsoftwair

mrupp wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:23 am Back to this one: this is something that could be fixed with RP 2.0, couldn't it?
Erm, have you read this?

And concerning the missing icon on your OS4 system. That's a MUI feature. See here. You'll only get requester icons with MUI if you have created an application. So once you have called moai.CreateApp() it should work correctly.
mrupp

Post by mrupp »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:43 pm
mrupp wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:23 am Back to this one: this is something that could be fixed with RP 2.0, couldn't it?
Erm, have you read this?
Yes I have, but I'd like to plead to treat this as a bug for the following reasons:
  • The current implementation is inconsistent: SystemRequest() (without linking RapaGUI) shows the questionmark icon while it doesn't if RapaGUI is used and moai.Request() doesn't, either. Imho all 3 cases should behave the same.
  • I think it should be the developer's choice if he wants to show a questionmark with his requesters or not. So if he sets the #REQICON_Question parameter (or "Question" with moai.Request()), I'm sure he expects the icon to be shown. If he doesn't want it, he can simply set the corresponding "None"-parameter.
  • Even with the latest C# and .NET versions it's still possible to easily create requesters with questionmark icons. I never encountered any obsolete-flag or anything thelike during work.
mrupp

Post by mrupp »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:43 pm And concerning the missing icon on your OS4 system. That's a MUI feature. See here. You'll only get requester icons with MUI if you have created an application. So once you have called moai.CreateApp() it should work correctly.
YES! That was it! Works! :D