moai.Request() behaves strange

Discuss GUI programming with the RapaGUI plugin here
mrupp

moai.Request() behaves strange

Post by mrupp »

Hi there

The following script behaves very strange indeed, especially when run on Windows:

Code: Select all

@REQUIRE "RapaGUI", { Link = True }

moai.Request("RapaGUI", "Hello!\n\nThis dialog should show no icon.", "OK", "None")
moai.Request("RapaGUI", "Hello!\n\nThis dialog should show an information icon.", "OK")
moai.Request("RapaGUI", "Hello!\n\nThis dialog should show an information icon, too", "OK", "Information")
moai.Request("RapaGUI", "Hello!\n\nThis dialog should show a question icon.", "Yes|No", "Question")
moai.Request("RapaGUI", "Hello!\n\nThis dialog should show a warning icon.", "OK", "Warning")
moai.Request("RapaGUI", "Hello!\n\nThis dialog should show an error icon.", "OK", "Error")
moai.Request("RapaGUI", "Hello!\n\nThis dialog should show a button labeled 'Ok' and not 'OK'.", "Ok")
moai.Request("RapaGUI", "Hello!\n\nThis dialog should show two buttons.", "Ja|Nein", "Question")
moai.Request("RapaGUI", "Hello!\n\nThis dialog should show three buttons.", "One|Two|Three")
On Windows, the first dialogs are alright except the missing question icon. But then it's getting a bit weird: if the buttons are not labeled exactly "OK", "Yes" or "No", the request dialog shows a listbox listing the values.
On OS4, the buttons are correct, but the icons are missing in all cases.

Tested with HW 9.0.

plouf

Re: moai.Request() behaves strange

Post by plouf »

This has been reported way bacj. And afaik it is hollywood "feature" not bug.
Because as explained for anythink than standar requester (more than 2 option) hollywood implements its own requester and it is not use's OS internal API
(If you search old "bugs" to you may found the discution back then)
For windows os specifically OK ,Yes, No are the three os internal options
And as you see os itself translates them in local languange
If no these default keyword exist hollywood implements its own requeter which is a list and not button

Also icons looks like OS future thats why missing in AmigaOS
Christos
plouf

Post by plouf »

ok the question icon is missing . . thats not correct
Christos
mrupp

Post by mrupp »

(If you search old "bugs" to you may found the discution back then)
Oh I see, that's probably the one you mean:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2225
Thanks for clarifying.
plouf wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:56 pm Also icons looks like OS future thats why missing in AmigaOS
Sorry, I don't understand. What do you mean by that? AmigaOS 4.1 usually has icons in its requesters.

So the bug is only the missing question icon on Windows and the icons in general on AmigaOS 4.1, imho.
And maybe the distinction between "OK" and "Ok", I found that a bit confusing...
plouf

Post by plouf »

Sorry, I don't understand. What do you mean by that? AmigaOS 4.1 usually has icons in its requesters.
Andres may be confirm, but i guess he uses the same "aos3" reqtools "original" one which has not
So the bug is only the missing question icon on Windows and the icons in general on AmigaOS 4.1, imho.
And maybe the distinction between "OK" and "Ok", I found that a bit confusing...
the distinction of OK <>Ok is windows os decition not hollywood , M$ decide that :)
Christos
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

plouf wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:40 pm the distinction of OK <>Ok is windows os decition not hollywood , M$ decide that :)
The missing question icon is also a feature of newer Windows versions. Apparently, somebody at Microsoft convinced the powers that be that an icon containing a question mark is too confusing for users so they just dropped it starting in Windows Vista. See here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... ss-confirm

So it's not a bug... anything else in this thread that needs my attention? :)
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

plouf wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:56 pm Also icons looks like OS future thats why missing in AmigaOS
Actually, the icon should be there on AmigaOS. What MUI version are you using? I think this feature requires a somewhat recent version of MUI.
plouf

Post by plouf »

i dont, OP did, but reading a second time i think i misread, look like amiga request photo in his example is without icon anyway

i just try in aos 4 and os3.1 and i see icons
Christos
mrupp

Post by mrupp »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:53 pm The missing question icon is also a feature of newer Windows versions. Apparently, somebody at Microsoft convinced the powers that be that an icon containing a question mark is too confusing for users so they just dropped it starting in Windows Vista. See here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... ss-confirm
BUT: The question icon IS showing if not using RapaGUI, it's only with RapaGUI that it's missing. Look at this:

SystemRequest("RapaGUI", "Hello!\n\nThis dialog should show a question icon.", "Yes|No", #REQICON_Question)
results in:
(the buttons have been translated to german, which I take as an indicator that this is a system request and not a HW custom one, correct?)

But this:

@REQUIRE "RapaGUI", { Link = True }

SystemRequest("RapaGUI", "Hello!\n\nThis dialog should show a question icon.", "Yes|No", #REQICON_Question)
moai.Request("RapaGUI", "Hello!\n\nThis dialog should show a question icon.", "Yes|No", "Question")
results in twice:

Still looks like a bug to me... ;)
mrupp

Post by mrupp »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:56 pm Actually, the icon should be there on AmigaOS. What MUI version are you using? I think this feature requires a somewhat recent version of MUI.
I'm using MUI 5.0.2020R3 which should be the latest one, afaik.
I re-checked on OS 4.1 FEu2:
  • using SystemRequest() --> icons are all shown no matter if RapaGUI is included or not --> perfect!
  • using moai.Request() --> icons are always missing --> bug (use the script in the original post to reproduce)