Plananarama and amiga without graphic card

Discuss about plugins that don't have a dedicated forum
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Plananarama and amiga without graphic card

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Yes, actually, I can reproduce it too and it really surprises me because guigfx.library and render.library were used by many applications around the turn of the millennium and I really can't imagine that such a huge bug should be in there but the fact that MysticView shows the very same behaviour really hints that this is not a Plananarama but guigfx/render problem. Have you tried to contact Henryk Richter (the current maintainer of render.library) about it? He's on a1k.org but his email address is also in the Aminet readme of render.library v32: http://nl.aminet.net/dev/misc/renderlib68k.readme
fingus

Post by fingus »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:07 pm Yes, actually, I can reproduce it too and it really surprises me because guigfx.library and render.library were used by many applications around the turn of the millennium and I really can't imagine that such a huge bug should be in there but the fact that MysticView shows the very same behaviour really hints that this is not a Plananarama but guigfx/render problem. Have you tried to contact Henryk Richter (the current maintainer of render.library) about it? He's on a1k.org but his email address is also in the Aminet readme of render.library v32: http://nl.aminet.net/dev/misc/renderlib68k.readme
I write an E-Mail to Timm S. Müller, he is described as Author in the readme. Henryk Richters (Uploader) E-Mailbox doesn´t exist (i tried several kombinations with _ between the name), all E-Mails bounce back (no Mailbox).
fingus

Post by fingus »

I got a response.

Timm send me a link to an (new?) archive that should contain the correct versions of render.library and guigfx.library.
The Upload will be visible tomorrow on Aminet.
I tested it with still the same results: Mysticview and Hollywood-Programs crash.

He can´t reproduce the crash with his real Amiga1200 with 68030-Turboboard without FPU and plain Workbench 3.1.

So it seems there is no fix or hope for my Project to come up on Classic Amiga with Hollywood and Plananarama. :(
airsoftsoftwair

Did some more tests and MysticView works now here on a 68020 no FPU WinUAE configuration.

Hollywood with Plananarama still crashed, though, so I checked what's going on and found out that the crash actually wasn't related to guigfx/render but it occurred when Hollywood tried to allocate the audio hardware, so I guess my AHI installation has binaries compiled for 68040 or something. As soon as I tried a script that doesn't output audio, everything was working fine with Plananarama on a 68020 no FPU OS3.1 WinUAE.

Can you try a minimal script like:

Code: Select all

@REQUIRE "plananarama"
@BGPIC 1, "test.iff"
WaitLeftMouse
End
This works here with these libs:

guigfx.library 20.0 (26.04.2003)
render.library68020 31.0 (29-jun-2002) 
Tested on WinUAE, OS3.1, 68020, no FPU.
fingus

Post by fingus »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:34 pm Did some more tests and MysticView works now here on a 68020 no FPU WinUAE configuration.

Hollywood with Plananarama still crashed, though, so I checked what's going on and found out that the crash actually wasn't related to guigfx/render but it occurred when Hollywood tried to allocate the audio hardware, so I guess my AHI installation has binaries compiled for 68040 or something. As soon as I tried a script that doesn't output audio, everything was working fine with Plananarama on a 68020 no FPU OS3.1 WinUAE.

Can you try a minimal script like:

@REQUIRE "plananarama"
@BGPIC 1, "test.iff"
WaitLeftMouse
End
This works here with these libs:

guigfx.library 20.0 (26.04.2003)
render.library68020 31.0 (29-jun-2002) 
Tested on WinUAE, OS3.1, 68020, no FPU.
Even on WinUAE with 68020, no fpu, Kick 3.1, WB3.1 that example ist still crashing.
I haven´t AHI installed, Paula should be enough!?

Or maybe fblit is the reason?

I can only use the 68020 on my real Amiga1200 by turning off the Turboboard, which means theres no FastRAM left. A Hollywood Executable is at least bigger than 2,5 MB, so it will never run on a stock A1200.
airsoftsoftwair

Can you try to run the script directly using Hollywood on your A1200 instead of the compiled executable? You don't even have to install the complete Hollywood package. Just copy the files "Hollywood" (for OS3 no fpu) and "Hollywood.key" to a directory of your choice and then open a shell, cd to the directory and type

1> Hollywood test.hws
Make test.hws a minimal test script like:

@REQUIRE "plananarama"
WaitLeftMouse
Does it still crash? If it does, at what point? Hollywood will show its startup dialog when running the script so you should be able to see where it stops when it crashes.
fingus

Post by fingus »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:22 pm Can you try to run the script directly using Hollywood on your A1200 instead of the compiled executable? You don't even have to install the complete Hollywood package. Just copy the files "Hollywood" (for OS3 no fpu) and "Hollywood.key" to a directory of your choice and then open a shell, cd to the directory and type

1> Hollywood test.hws
Make test.hws a minimal test script like:

@REQUIRE "plananarama"
WaitLeftMouse
Does it still crash? If it does, at what point? Hollywood will show its startup dialog when running the script so you should be able to see where it stops when it crashes.
This is a first Test here at Work with WINUAE (Kick 3.1, WB 3.1) and boot without Startup-Sequence i got:

airsoftsoftwair

Don't use "Boot with no startup-sequence". Load Workbench first...
fingus

Post by fingus »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm Don't use "Boot with no startup-sequence". Load Workbench first...
ERROR 8000 000B
TASK 78137EB8
airsoftsoftwair

But what does Hollywood say? What is the last line Hollywood shows in its startup log or does the crash occur even before Hollywood shows its startup screen?