Hollywood programs listed anywhere?

Find quick help here to get you started with Hollywood
amigadave

Hollywood programs listed anywhere?

Post by amigadave »

Is there anywhere on this site (or elsewhere) that Hollywood developers can list their programs made with Hollywood? It would be great to be able to search through a long list of everything that has been created with Hollywood, or at least the programs that are complete, and their developers want to include in such a list. Perhaps there could even be two categories, one for completed programs, and one for "Works in Progress".

Even better would be a field where links could be provided, to the source code, if the developers don't mind showing their work to us beginners, so we could search for examples of how to do certain tasks with Hollywood.

If all of this has been discussed before, forgive my lack of initiative to go searching for all of it before I began this thread.
zylesea

Re: Hollywood programs listed anywhere?

Post by zylesea »

Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

amigadave wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:39 pm Is there anywhere on this site (or elsewhere) that Hollywood developers can list their programs made with Hollywood? It would be great to be able to search through a long list of everything that has been created with Hollywood, or at least the programs that are complete, and their developers want to include in such a list. Perhaps there could even be two categories, one for completed programs, and one for "Works in Progress".

Even better would be a field where links could be provided, to the source code, if the developers don't mind showing their work to us beginners, so we could search for examples of how to do certain tasks with Hollywood.

If all of this has been discussed before, forgive my lack of initiative to go searching for all of it before I began this thread.
Well, all of my games and programs, here:
www.morguesoft.es
jPV

Post by jPV »

amigadave wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:39 pm Is there anywhere on this site (or elsewhere) that Hollywood developers can list their programs made with Hollywood? It would be great to be able to search through a long list of everything that has been created with Hollywood, or at least the programs that are complete, and their developers want to include in such a list. Perhaps there could even be two categories, one for completed programs, and one for "Works in Progress".

That kind of list would be nice, but it also would be nice that several people could edit it if needed? Maybe some wiki page somewhere. I don't know if anyone has such knowledge that he could create such page without the same background work as everybody else would need to do. Andreas maybe, but he probably won't have time for this kind stuff :) I'm also busy coding my own programs, but if someone else (you?) gets this started, I can try to support as much as I can.

You can also try to search Aminet with different kinds of search terms... for example packages that have Hollywood mentioned in the readme:
http://aminet.net/search?readme=Hollywood

Or archives that contain .hws (source code):
http://aminet.net/search?content=.hws
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

Hi!
I've several free libraries & projects for Hollywood you can download and inspect the source code, here are my links:

My Wiki with downloads & documentation
My Website/Blog
My Patreon page
A thread here on Hollywood forums with almost all my stuff

Happy coding!
:D
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

From Allanons stuff, I would like to especially recommend HGUI, which is bit like MUI royale, except it makes buttons, text fields etc. for all platforms that Hollywood supports, as HGUI is based upon Hollywood code itself instead of plugin.

And then there is this piece of software called APPbuilder which can save you a whole load of time. It is meant to help keep track of your projects files, that you make projext "example game", then you tell the source code, all the files it needs, plugins (choosable from list) then you choose which platforms and click "Build", and you will get compiled exes for each platform with all the required files/plugins, it saves a tons of work. One of the handiest tools around when you happen to need it.
amigadave

Post by amigadave »

Thanks for all the replies, and suggestions. I just upgraded to Hollywood version 8, and also upgraded my Designer to version 5, and since I don't currently have my X1000/AmigaOS4.1FE, or my PowerMac G5/MorphOS3.13 set up and running, I have installed the Windows version of Hollywood on my PC, so I can begin my Hollywood coding this week, and stop putting it off any longer. I even have found an experienced programmer who has agreed to "Mentor" me, and help me out if I get stuck with any of my first projects. Now all I need to do is choose what to work on as a first project, and dive in!
jPV

Post by jPV »

amigadave wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:04 pm Now all I need to do is choose what to work on as a first project, and dive in!
If you want, you could also share the ideas you have for different projects, and we could tell opinions how easy or hard they would be to be made in Hollywood or if someone else is already making a similar program. After all, Hollywood has its strengths and limitations, and some areas are easier and some harder for it.
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

And one possibility would be to join this initiative:
https://www.igda.fi/blog/2020/homeschoo ... tsgamedevs

Although at the start it is aimed at making games based upon Finnish school books, basically idea would be to spread it all around the world if successful, hence you could already start making games based upon your countries school books.

This could be good way to start making small games that, if the project is successful, will have an audience to play them.
zylesea

Post by zylesea »

amigadave wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:04 pm Thanks for all the replies, and suggestions. I just upgraded to Hollywood version 8, and also upgraded my Designer to version 5, and since I don't currently have my X1000/AmigaOS4.1FE, or my PowerMac G5/MorphOS3.13 set up and running, I have installed the Windows version of Hollywood on my PC, so I can begin my Hollywood coding this week, and stop putting it off any longer. I even have found an experienced programmer who has agreed to "Mentor" me, and help me out if I get stuck with any of my first projects. Now all I need to do is choose what to work on as a first project, and dive in!
Just learn the basics about Hollywood and don't be shy to use RapaGUI or MUI Royale right from the begining. It's not difficult to use and has IMHO only advantages. And keep your first projects rather small.

Finding ideas that are doable within a limited time scope but that also offer some benefit for the community is probably the hardest part of it all.

The good thing is that this forum - and especially Andreas is doing a really tremendous job here - is pretty helful and friendly, I think there are close to no cases where no help was given. And whatever you ask, the tone - unlike some other coding forums - is usually not eletish and you never feel stupid or embarrasingly educated.