Windows console

Find quick help here to get you started with Hollywood
Juan Carlos

Windows console

Post by Juan Carlos »

What is the purpose of creating Windows console programs?
Because it is MS-DOS programs of 32 and 64 bits, but nobody use this, and the linker plugins folders are the same than Windows normal version. Maybe for next Hollywood version this option to make executables for ms-dos will can remove.
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Windows console

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Windows console programs aren't MS-DOS programs. They are Windows programs that use some special startup code for using the current console as standard input and output. Normal Windows programs don't do that. By compiling your script as a Windows console program, it's possible to write console tools with Hollywood as well.
jPV

Post by jPV »

Hmm.. I tried to compile RNOPDF as a Windows console program to get the command line options working, but then it opens a console window when started from icon even when I haven't done any output myself. Could that be avoided somehow? It would be nice to be able to have console options, but not getting the empty console window popping up otherwise if those options aren't used.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

I don't think this is possible without using hacks. Windows console programs will automatically open the console when started from outside of it. But, if all you need is handling command line options, just compile for normal Windows. Normal Windows programs can handle command line arguments just fine. No need to compile for console for that. Compiling for console is only necessary if you want your programs to take output and input from the current console.