Hollywood 5.3 released & soon available again for purchase

Official announcements from the Hollywood team
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Hollywood 5.3 released & soon available again for purchase

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

ntromans wrote:Hi Andreas,
A quick question - you mention the JAVA GUI for the Android version. Are there any plans to make this useable from inside scripts in a similar manner to MUIRoyale on the Amiga-oid systems?
Sorry, that's currently not planned :)
djrikki

Post by djrikki »

- Fix [Amiga]: Installer didn't work with paths that had spaces in them; astonishing that it took
over 10 years for somebody to notice this bug (reported by Richard Lake)
Lol, that's 3 (or 4 if I include myself) developers who have fallen foul of paths with spaces in them which I have had to report issues to - seems to be a common problem that can be easily made, and equally easily fixed.
Evolve - Rapid GUI Development tool for MUI Royale and RapaGUI
http://myevolve.wordpress.com
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

Does this version have support to keeping finger down and moving around on android?
airsoftsoftwair

Lol, that's 3 (or 4 if I include myself) developers who have fallen foul of paths with spaces in them which I have had to report issues to - seems to be a common problem that can be easily made, and equally easily fixed.
Well, normally I'm quite aware of this problem and Hollywood itself shouldn't have any problems like this but this Installer script is just so very very old :)
airsoftsoftwair

Bugala wrote:Does this version have support to keeping finger down and moving around on android?
Yes, it does.
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

Great, how do we use it? Just check if mouse button is being kept down?
airsoftsoftwair

If you only need touch events for a single finger, just use the left mouse button events. For multiple fingers, use the new "OnTouch" event handler.
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

I finally got myself bought cheap (cost only 69 Euros) 7 inch android tablet last friday, and I now compiled one old small test game i made and finally got it to test under android upon which i made it in the first place:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/337 ... ndroid.hwa

However, What i noticed is that graphics update is very slow. I have used simply showlayer x,y in this program to update the picture, and it basically should be pretty light program.

Is there any way to speed this up on Android or is this limitation we have to live it for now?

another improvement suggestion. When i downloaded that .hwa file from my dropbox folder, i was able to open it fine, that it automatically used hollywood to play it.

However, when i went to play another game, i went to main menu (or whatever that is) and chose from there "Downloads" and when i clicked on .hwa files, it said it couldnt open them.

Is it possible to make Hollywood so that it would understand to play those files even when started from there?
airsoftsoftwair

Have a look at BeginRefresh()/EndRefresh() which can help you to optimize drawing on Android. Alternatively, use a double buffer.
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

Thanks from those tips. I also noticed my code had one debugprint i hadnt swept away.

Removing that debugprint made it maybe 5 times faster. Then on top of that adding BeginRefresh and EndRefresh doubled the speed again.

However, even with that speeding it is not fast enough yet, although quite close to it already. Hence the next question.

I am currently using Layers (only one layer moved at a time), If I would change Layers either to Sprites or Brushes, would it speed thing up?

Although, is there difference between layers, brushes and sprites working way. Since currently idea is that there can be several layers on screen, but only one moves at a time. Would I need to draw each brush or Sprite each time again and again, and would this slow down the thing compared to using layers that stay still except for the one moving one?