Plananarama 2.0 released

Official announcements from the Hollywood team
admin
Site Admin

Plananarama 2.0 released

Post by admin »

It's planar, baby! Airsoft Softwair, the hardest working men in code business, continue Hollywood's 20th anniversary celebrations with yet another major new release: Plananarama 2.0. Plananarama is the magic plugin which allows Hollywood scripts to be run on classic Amiga hardware without any graphics board. Once Plananarama is installed, all Hollywood scripts will 'automagically' run on palette screens as well! All resolutions are supported - from 8-bit LowRes to 1-bit productivity SuperHighRes Interlace.

Version 2.0 is a major update which makes use of many new features offered exclusively by Hollywood 9. By integrating seamlessly with Hollywood 9's new palette interface, it is now possible to write scripts which make use of the Amiga's custom chip hardware for a much better performance. Here is a non-exhaustive list of the new features in Plananarama 2.0:

- support for Amiga hardware sprites
- direct access to color registers for all kinds of effects like color cycling and fading
- true palette based drawing without any color remapping
- Unicode support
- screen menus are now supported
- drag'n'drop support
- guigfx.library and render.library are only needed when in remapping mode
- added a fully featured documentation in AmigaGuide, PDF and HTML
- added three new example scripts demonstrating the new features like hardware sprites
- several bug fixes and other improvements

Plananarama 2.0 is now available for free download from the official Hollywood portal. For its basic functionality Plananarama requires Hollywood 6 but all the new functions introduced in version 2.0 require Hollywood 9 which is why we highly recommend upgrading to Hollywood 9 if you haven't done that yet.

To celebrate the 20th anniversary of Hollywood we also offer a special 20 euros discount on the full version of Hollywood for a limited time only. This is the perfect chance for all people who don't own Hollywood yet to grab their own copy and to explore the wonderful world of Hollywood and be fascinated by the gigantic functionality of this unique piece of software and all of the plugins that come with it! To order your own copy, just click here.

This release was brought to you by Airsoft Softwair - the hardest working men in code business.
lazi

Re: Plananarama 2.0 released

Post by lazi »

It is marvellous! It simply adds another new platform!

To quickly try out I wanted to compile one of the example script on OS4.
If I understand correctly, palette mode scripts can be run only on 68k OS 3.x because that is the only platform that have Plananarama.hwp.
But even the compiling is fails on OS4 with the "This program requires plananarama.hwp!" message while I checked only AmigaOS3 (m68k) at the destination window of the Hollywood GUI.

Is there a way to compile palette mode script outside the Classic Amiga environment?
tekmage

Post by tekmage »

I've been using Designer and was hoping to build a presentation on OS 4 for OS 3. When I install Planarama on OS 4 then launch Designer I get an error loading the Planarama library. Is it possible to use Plananarama with Hollywood Designer?

I checked the documentation and did not see how this works with Designer 5.

Cheers,
Bill "tekmage" Borsari
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

lazi wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:53 pm Is there a way to compile palette mode script outside the Classic Amiga environment?
Hmm, good spot. That seems to be a general design problem in Hollywood. When cross-compiling and using @REQUIRE, the plugin needs to be available in a native version for the build platform or it won't work. That's definitely something that needs to be changed. Probably no one has noticed before because all other platforms are available for all platforms :)
tekmage wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:19 pm I've been using Designer and was hoping to build a presentation on OS 4 for OS 3. When I install Planarama on OS 4 then launch Designer I get an error loading the Planarama library. Is it possible to use Plananarama with Hollywood Designer?
Sure. Just don't install it on OS4 but on the OS3 system you want to run Hollywood projects on. Then simply compile the project for OS3 with Designer on OS4 and if Plananarama is installed on OS3, it should work out of the box.
lazi

Post by lazi »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:46 pm That's definitely something that needs to be changed.
And I am sure, you will address this one sooner or later. Just as usual.
Until then we can install HW9 to an emulated or real classic machine.
plouf

Post by plouf »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:46 pm

Is there a way to compile palette mode script outside the Classic Amiga environment?
i guess currently you need a separate installation with 68k version of hollywood
Christos
jPV

Post by jPV »

plouf wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:25 pm
i guess currently you need a separate installation with 68k version of hollywood
I have compiled ECS/AGA version of RNOPDF on MorphOS setup where I have MorphOS version of Hollywood installed, but then I have a separate 68k exe of Hollywood in Hollywood:System/ and separate 68k plugins. No other files need touching when compiling to planar 68k...

I have this shell script to compile 68k/Plananarama versions:

Code: Select all

Rename SYS:Libs/Hollywood SYS:Libs/Hollywood_mos
Rename SYS:Libs/Hollywood_68k SYS:Libs/Hollywood

Hollywood:System/Hollywood68k RNOPDF_AGA.hws -compile RNOPDF -exetype classic|classic881

Rename SYS:Libs/Hollywood SYS:Libs/Hollywood_68k
Rename SYS:Libs/Hollywood_mos SYS:Libs/Hollywood
lazi

Post by lazi »

@jpv

Thanks! That is a handy solution.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Code: Select all

- Fix: When compiling executables or applets, Hollywood will no longer fail in case a plugin is missing;
  this allows you to cross-compile scripts on platforms that don't have all plugins available on the target
  platform, e.g. it's now possible to compile scripts that need the Plananarama plugin on Windows even
  though Plananarama isn't available on Windows