Hollywood Designer 5.0: The Return of a Legend

Official announcements from the Hollywood team
Juan Carlos

Re: Hollywood Designer 5.0: The Return of a Legend

Post by Juan Carlos »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:38 am @Juan Carlos: It's all possible. You can link images, sounds, videos, anims, plugins, and fonts to your executables.
Ok, thanks, I bought It to use it this time with MorphOS because the old version 3.0 for 68k only never I enjoy It.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

nmakk wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:04 am Dear All, I just wanted to share that Hollywood Designer looks very polished, professional. I always wanted some cross-compatible environment to connect the amiga-like world with other systems (for me macos and ios). After I learn about it, I plan to use it to educate my kid(s) to code / I see a great potential in it, so at the end they can play with their own creation on mobile as well :)

To be honest I am also glad that we have Amiga based version, so I can use my MorphOS mac mini for something productive!

Thanks Andreas!
Thanks for the positive feedback!
r-tea

Post by r-tea »

I am REALLY impressed, Andreas. Thought Designer was abandoned. Need to buy it ASAP.
xtype

Post by xtype »

Great news! Is the new version of Designer compatible with the previous version of Hollywood 7.x?
r-tea

Post by r-tea »

xtype wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:52 pm Great news! Is the new version of Designer compatible with the previous version of Hollywood 7.x?
Good question. I suppose the new Designer is backwards compatible, otherwise it would be a little bit odd.
airsoftsoftwair

r-tea wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 12:02 pm Thought Designer was abandoned.
As I said, legends never die :)
xtype wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:52 pm Great news! Is the new version of Designer compatible with the previous version of Hollywood 7.x?
Unfortunately not. You need Hollywood 8 because Designer 5 has some new features that are only available in Hollywood 8...
r-tea

Post by r-tea »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:49 pm Unfortunately not. You need Hollywood 8 because Designer 5 has some new features that are only available in Hollywood 8...
Ok, but what about backwards compatibility? I suppose Hw8 includes all Hw7 features. Couldn't it work with old features and simply not offer the new ones?
airsoftsoftwair

r-tea wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:18 pm Ok, but what about backwards compatibility? I suppose Hw8 includes all Hw7 features. Couldn't it work with old features and simply not offer the new ones?
That's a lot of work in a GUI application like Designer. Designer would have to gray out several GUI widgets depending on which Hollywood version is installed. All this needs to be tested of course. It wouldn't be sufficient to just test Designer with the latest Hollywood version but also with other versions. Then it could happen that a project created for Hollywood 8 is loaded into Designer running on a system with Hollywood 7 and so on. This is all getting very complicated in a sophisticated environment like Designer.

Of course, Hollywood itself has full backwards compatibility but Designer will always target the latest Hollywood version because everything else is making it far too complicated especially because of obligatory unit testing. I prefer to spend time on implementing cool new features instead of supporting obsolete Hollywood versions :)
airsoftsoftwair

Spanish translation by Dámaso Domínguez is now available for download here: http://www.hollywood-mal.com/download.html
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

Andreas you must make a special site for Designer like you have for Hollywood, where we can download translations, ecamples, etc.