Hollywood goes SID!

Official announcements from the Hollywood team
admin
Site Admin

Hollywood goes SID!

Post by admin »

Chip attack! Airsoft Softwair, the hardest working men in code business, are proud to present a SID plugin for Hollywood. Once this plugin is installed, Hollywood will "automagically" be able to play SID files.

Additionally, a demo applet which demonstrates the playback of a SID file is included. This applet can also be run using the freely available Hollywood Player so people who don't own the full version of Hollywood can check it out as well.

You can download the plugin from the official Hollywood portal. Thanks to Hollywood's cross-platform plugin system versions for AmigaOS3 (Classic), AmigaOS3 (FPU), AmigaOS4, MorphOS, WarpOS, AROS (x86), Linux (arm, ppc, x86, x64), Mac OS (ppc, x86, x64), Windows (x86, x64) and Android platform are provided.

To download SID music visit the High Voltage SID Collection.

This release was brought to you by Airsoft Softwair - the hardest working men in code business.
Allanon

Re: Hollywood goes SID!

Post by Allanon »

Wow! This is wonderful! :D
Thank you!
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

Yeah, cool, thanks!
Currently using: Hollywood 9 with Windows IDE and Hollywood 9 with Visual Studio Code and hw4vsc
divsalv

Post by divsalv »

Work with 6.1 version?
bitRocky

Post by bitRocky »

The applet needs V7.1 of the player, but only Android has v7.1 of the player;)
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

divsalv wrote:Work with 6.1 version?
Yep, minimum version required is just Hollywood 5.0 (5.3 for WarpOS version).
bitRocky wrote:The applet needs V7.1 of the player, but only Android has v7.1 of the player;)
You can run the applet with Hollywood 7.1, no need for the player :)
bitRocky

Post by bitRocky »

Yes, I know and I already did;) and found some SIDs (search for "First Rock-Try" on the hvsc.c64.org) that let the plugin "go wild", means cpu is at max and seems to be in an endless loop and Hollywood can't be quit! Only freezing of the task, or reboot helps.

But the people who doesn't bought Hollywood can't try it out without the 7.1 player.
airsoftsoftwair

bitRocky wrote:Yes, I know and I already did;) and found some SIDs (search for "First Rock-Try" on the hvsc.c64.org) that let the plugin "go wild", means cpu is at max and seems to be in an endless loop and Hollywood can't be quit! Only freezing of the task, or reboot helps.
Well, of course TinySID is quite old and has problems with some SIDs. But I don't think I'm gonna fix bugs in the SID emulation ;-)
lazi

Post by lazi »

This plugin release made me happy especially the thougt that I am not alone with the inteterest of that technically wonderful and emotionally fullfilled sound of the C64 era.

At first I checked my small "Best of SID" drawer containing a selection of SID musics that I love to hear.
Additionally I am a very frequent audience of the SID radio station at c64.com, so I can compare what I hear.

So this TinySID is not perfect at all, but quite good for that footprint and small CPU usage.

Some SID is not compatible enough, but most that I tried sounds good.
For example Theatre Europe sounds like some bad remix of that great tune.
But hey, Ocean Loaders are playing quite well! :D

The best aspect that I found is that GoatTracker exported SIDs are playing well. Knowing that most of the new SIDs are created there, only this makes TinySID plugin is a very nice addition!
airsoftsoftwair

AFAICS the definitive SID solution is libsidplay2 but it is GPL so it can't be used in a Hollywood plugin. Also reports say that it is very CPU intensive and requires a 2 Ghz machine or something so it's also not really appropriate for AmigaOS and compatibles. So TinySID is quite a good alternative even though it has its flaws.