Hollywood APK Compiler 2.1 released

Official announcements from the Hollywood team
admin
Site Admin

Hollywood APK Compiler 2.1 released

Post by admin »

Airsoft Softwair, the hardest working men in code business, are proud to present the Hollywood APK Compiler 2.1. This version adds support for Android Studio 3.0 and makes the conversion of Hollywood applets into APKs even easier by erasing the direct dependencies on the Java Development Kit (JDK) and Gradle. Instead, the JDK and Gradle versions that are shipped with Android Studio are used now. So Android Studio is the only thing that is required by the Hollywood APK Compiler now.

Note that version 2.1 requires at least Android Studio 3.0 so existing users should only upgrade to this version if they also want to upgrade their Android Studio version. Keep in mind, though, that Google dropped support for older Android versions in Android Studio 3.0 so all APKs compiled by the Hollywood APK Compiler will require at least Android 4.0. If you still need to target Android 2.3, don't upgrade to the latest version of Android Studio and the APK Compiler. Finally, also note that version 2.1 is no longer compatible with 32-bit systems. It requires a 64-bit Windows so 32-bit users should also keep their old versions.

Version 2.1 of the Hollywood APK Compiler is now available for free download from the restricted download area for all existing Hollywood APK Compiler users. For more information on the Hollywood APK Compiler and how to order it visit the official Hollywood portal at http://www.hollywood-mal.com/

This release was brought to you by Airsoft Softwair, the hardest working men in code business.
PEB

Re: Hollywood APK Compiler 2.1 released

Post by PEB »

Many thanks!
sashapont

Post by sashapont »

May be it possible to do it for Mac OS?
p-OS

Post by p-OS »

Be careful: Project&Package may not be set to a value, that end in ".test", otherwise CMake will fail !
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

sashapont wrote:May be it possible to do it for Mac OS?
Yes it is possible. Will it come? No. It's already a maintainenance hell to stay on track with Android Studio on Windows which changes rapidly and fundamentally from version to version. I won't increase this maintenance hell by adding support for more platforms. So Windows is the only choice here but everyone should at least have access to a Windows machine nowadays.
PEB

Post by PEB »

An app that I just compiled with the new APK Compiler is having problems (automatically closing) whenever I change the display orientation (portrait/landscape)---either by Hollywood command, or by physically rotating the android device. I tried it on three different devices; and the same thing happened each time.

Anyone else notice this behavior?
tohe

Post by tohe »

PEB wrote:An app that I just compiled with the new APK Compiler is having problems (automatically closing) whenever I change the display orientation (portrait/landscape)---either by Hollywood command, or by physically rotating the android device. I tried it on three different devices; and the same thing happened each time.

Anyone else notice this behavior?
Same happens here too - just compiled my work with latest APK, the screen is forced (on my game) landscape. And if my device has:
- rotation enabled - the game starts if I hold it in landscape mode
- rotation disabled - the game won't start at all

but otherwise great work, the installation process went smoothly (if you just have the patience to read attached html-doc ;)
airsoftsoftwair

Yes, I can confirm this. Looks like setting minimum version to 4.0 has lots of implications pertaining to how things work under the hood. Will be fixed.
airsoftsoftwair

This is really funny. When increasing the minimum required Android version from 2.3 to 4.0 Android suddenly handles lots of things completely differently. In fact, it destroys and re-creates the whole app when the device is rotated. Hollywood is of course not prepared to handle this and just exits.

This is why software development on modern platforms is really a mostly frustrating experience nowadays. Nobody cares about designing stable interfaces anymore. They just change things completely with new OS versions and expect developers to jump through the hoop. I've never thought I'd say this but you really have to praise Microsoft for going to great pains to keep compatibility with previous Windows versions. On Mac OS X, iOS and Android APIs and the way things work tend to change all the time and nobody cares much about backwards compatibility at all.
airsoftsoftwair

The orientation issue is fixed now. You can download the APK Compiler 2.2 from the usual place.