GL Galore 1.1 released

Official announcements from the Hollywood team
admin
Site Admin

GL Galore 1.1 released

Post by admin »

Airsoft Softwair is proud to present GL Galore 1.1, the ultimate OpenGL® scripting solution for Hollywood! This is a major update which introduces Unicode support (requires at least Hollywood 7), support for the Raspberry Pi (needs at least a Raspberry Pi 2), and support for 64-bit architectures on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS. On top of that, GL Galore 1.1 also introduces a modern joystick API which allows you to query joysticks with more than two buttons and axes. Finally, GL Galore also contains direct online help now for people using the Hollywood 7 IDE on Windows.

GL Galore is a plugin for Hollywood that allows you to access the OpenGL 1.1 command set directly from Hollywood. This makes it possible to write scripts that utilize the host system's 3D hardware to create high-performance, butter-smooth 2D and 3D animation that is computed completely in hardware by the GPU of your graphics board. This leads to a huge performance boost over the classic Hollywood graphics API which is mostly implemented in software for maximum portability and compatibility. Especially systems with slower CPUs will benefit greatly from hardware-accelerated drawing offered by OpenGL.

OpenGL is a portable software interface to graphics hardware. It is available for almost every platform in a variety of flavours. On AmigaOS and compatibles, OpenGL is available as MiniGL on AmigaOS 4, TinyGL on MorphOS, StormMesa on AmigaOS 3, and Mesa 3D on AROS. Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux systems are usually shipped with an OpenGL driver already installed.

GL Galore offers wrapper functions for most commands of the OpenGL 1.1 API including many GLU functions. Additionally, GL Galore also offers bridging functions that allow you to convert Hollywood brushes into OpenGL textures and vice versa. Furthermore, when GL Galore is activated, Hollywood's hardware brushes and hardware double-buffers are mapped directly to OpenGL so that you can even benefit from hardware accelerated drawing and transformation without writing a single line of GL code. Whenever GL Galore is activated, all graphics output will automatically be routed through OpenGL.

GL Galore can also be useful for rapidly prototyping software in OpenGL. People who used to program OpenGL using C will greatly appreciate Hollywood's convenient multimedia API which offers functions for almost all common tasks. For example, by using GL Galore to write OpenGL programs you can avoid all the hassle of managing a GL window using one of the many different toolkits out there. Also, jobs like image loading, sound or video playback, font handling and image manipulation will become ridiculously easy thanks to Hollywood's powerful command set which covers over 700 functions. And of course, there aren't 14 different versions of commands like glColor, but just one version because sometimes less is more.

GL Galore is available free of charge and can be downloaded from the official Hollywood portal at http://www.hollywood-mal.com/ Versions for AmigaOS 3 (FPU required), AmigaOS 4, MorphOS, AROS (x86), Windows (x86,x64), Mac OS X (ppc, x86, x64) and Linux (ppc, arm, x86, x64) are provided. On top of that, GL Galore comes with over 250 pages of documentation in various formats like PDF, HTML, AmigaGuide, and CHM. Finally, many impressive example scripts are included in the distribution archive to get you started really quickly.

All of this makes GL Galore the ultimate OpenGL scripting experience combining the best of both worlds into one powerful plugin: Hollywood's extensive and convenient multimedia function set and OpenGL's raw graphics power!

GL Galore is now available for free download from the official Hollywood portal at http://www.hollywood-mal.com/

This release was brought to you by Airsoft Softwair - the hardest working men in code business.

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
lazi

Re: GL Galore 1.1 released

Post by lazi »

Great work as usual!
If I was only half as productive as you, I'd be at least twice as satisfied with myself! :)

What about the MUI/Rapa bridge of GLGalore display? Is that remained to the next release?
Is there any bottleneck on any systems that blocks that feature?
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

Questions about this.

1. Does this also work on Android and iOS devices?

2. Can i still use layers and still gain the benefits of this, or do i have to be using hardware brushes and hardware double buffers to benefit from this?
lazi

Post by lazi »

As far as I know, it is not working on Android because there is another variant of OpenGL namely OpenGL ES is used there, which is not a common API for all of the Hollywood targets. Amiga MiniGL implementations is a very old subset of OpenGL 1.1.
Therefore the Android GL Galore download link is missing in the download page.

Double buffered displays benefits from hw acceleration, but layers are can't be used with GL Galore displays which works as a different display engine beside the default Hollywood displays.
zylesea

Post by zylesea »

Great work and I - as other - wonder how productive Andreas is. Hats off!
But this plugin would be pretty useful especially for Android. Gfx on Android is rather slow and with GL it's probably way easier to implement the wide spread/usual Android zooming behaviour.
But it's great to have for the other systems and I hope I'll use it soon for some project.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

lazi wrote:What about the MUI/Rapa bridge of GLGalore display? Is that remained to the next release?
Is there any bottleneck on any systems that blocks that feature?
Yes, it's still planned and it shouldn't be a problem to support this.
airsoftsoftwair

Bugala wrote:Questions about this.

1. Does this also work on Android and iOS devices?
No, currently not.
2. Can i still use layers and still gain the benefits of this, or do i have to be using hardware brushes and hardware double buffers to benefit from this?
You can use layers but this won't give you any speed improvement. For GPU-accelerated drawing you need to use hardware double buffers and hardware brushes.
airsoftsoftwair

zylesea wrote:Great work and I - as other - wonder how productive Andreas is. Hats off!
But this plugin would be pretty useful especially for Android. Gfx on Android is rather slow and with GL it's probably way easier to implement the wide spread/usual Android zooming behaviour.
But it's great to have for the other systems and I hope I'll use it soon for some project.
Hollywood will probably offer native support for hardware brushes on Android soon, so scaling should get faster on Android.
stefff285

Post by stefff285 »

hello all
i was making a linux configuration of Hollywood Mal 32b and what a gooood surprise to see the galore plugin in linux 64b version. it works all fine and i have to thanx so much andreas for this port ! thanx a lot yet :)