Plananarama 1.0 released

Official announcements from the Hollywood team
admin
Site Admin

Plananarama 1.0 released

Post by admin »

It's planar, baby! Airsoft Softwair - the hardest working men in code business - are back on your screen with the Plananarama plugin for Hollywood. With the Plananarama plugin Hollywood is finally able to run on planar screens again! This finally makes it possible to run Hollywood scripts on plain AGA or ECS systems with no graphics board installed - for the first time since Hollywood 1.93 (released in March 2005)! Starting with version 2.0, Hollywood required CyberGraphX or Picasso96 to run. Since then, many people have asked for a revival of Hollywood's planar engine, so here it is, a real blast from the past! Thanks to Hollywood 6's greatly extended plugin API this feature could be implemented completely in plugin space. Once Plananarama is installed, all Hollywood scripts will magically run on palette screens again! All resolutions are supported - from 8-bit LowRes to 1-bit productivity SuperHighRes Interlace.

Plananarama is the third plugin to bear the Powered by Hollywood 6.0 seal of quality as it utilizes the new display and bitmap adapter plugin interfaces introduced with Hollywood 6.0. The plugin will not work with older versions of Hollywood. Only Hollywood 6.0 makes it possible. That's why we here at Airsoft Softwair say: Life starts at 6.0. Plananarama is available free of charge and can be downloaded from the official Hollywood portal. It is only available in a version for AmigaOS 3 because all other systems don't use planar graphics any more.

You need an 68020 or better. It is also recommended to install FBlit because otherwise you are likely to run out of chip memory really quickly. When configuring FBlit make sure you add Hollywood to its "Include" list in the "FAllocBitMap" tab so that Hollywood will be able to store its graphics in fast memory. Speaking of fast mem, 16 megabyte of fast memory are highly recommended.

This release is dedicated to all people who think life is better in 8 bitplanes. Who needs chunky? This is planar, baby! Proudly brought to you by Airsoft Softwair - the hardest working men in code business.
ArtBlink

Re: Plananarama 1.0 released

Post by ArtBlink »

Superb lover man

Pffff!!! if you don't exist, we must to create you lol

Thanksssssss

With this plugins, can i open screen in 320x200 on amiga ng (AmigaOne, Sam,etc...)?
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

Couple of questions regarding useability of this.

1. If i have a game in HD resolution, how will it work in AGA? I suppose it shrinks it to some certain size?

2. How fast or probably slow is this process to shrink something from 1920 x 1080 to even 320x200?

I am just wondering how much chance there actually is to make for example a game that actually works on AGA Amigas, say, with 030? I suppose perhaps some board game (not much movement around) at least could be done?

oh, and 3. How heavy are all those hollywoods layer things.

That suppose i want to make even simple Tetris game and i keep using layers for pieces, would it be too heavy already for classic amigas?

4. Then what if i use somethign else instead of layers, if i correctly remember there were sprites as well, i just never used anything else but layers since they are so handy, so im not too well aware of the rest.
tolkien

Post by tolkien »

Impressive! I need to sabe a few euros to can upgrade sooner than later.
lazi

Post by lazi »

Well done!

Did not found it in the readme, but is this plugin enables MUI Royale scripts to run on machines without RTG gfx?

@Bugala
I think you should not bother HD resolution on ECS/AGA. Have not tried yet, but I hope for good performance if you create your scripts lowres and without alphachannel in mind.

However great new CPU boards are coming for our classic line to feed with Hollywood :-)
SrHead

Post by SrHead »

Magnificent! Thanks, great job :D :D
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

Congratulations Andreas for this new plugin. In theory a game or program make for MorphOS and AmigaOS 4.x can run on a Amiga 1200?
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

lazi wrote: @Bugala
I think you should not bother HD resolution on ECS/AGA.
I am mainly trying to find out how much into design decisions i should take this possibility into or not. I am currently planning games in HD resolution, so if there is no chance for them to work on ECS/AGA machines, then i can simply ignore them as long as I am using HD res, but if they do have some chance to work, then i can maybe have some design decisions differently.

As example, do i use OGG Vorbis or MODs for music, if it anyway doesnt work on Classics, why bother using MOD if OGG is handier.
lazi

Post by lazi »

@Bugala

I think You should make different design decisions for a classic machine and for a nextgen Amiga OS.
There are physical limitations that no plugin can eliminate does not matter how good is Andreas in his job.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

@Bugala:
As lazi has already pointed out, forget HD resolutions on AGA. It doesn't make sense. You have to use a mode compatible with the chipset, e.g. LowRes, HighRes or even HighRes Interlace but *not* FullHD. Also, the game should be designed for this resolution because scaling things done will be slow and it will also eat lots of memory. Also forget about OGGs on Classics... decoding them is hard work for an m68k CPU...

@Juan Carlos:
Yes, not only in theory but also in practice :)

@lazi:
Yes, if you first @REQUIRE Plananarama and then @REQUIRE MUIRoyale it should also allow you to run MUI apps on planar screens. BTW, the next version of MUI Royale will also run on planar screens without MUI Royale.