Hollywood on AOS4

Feature requests for future versions of Hollywood can be voiced here
ArtBlink

Hollywood on AOS4

Post by ArtBlink »

Hello Andreas,

Have you got any information to in the future, that Hollywood langage and designer would be implemented on AOS 5.0 (for exemple)

Is A-EON interest about your work?

And when can you give a new version of Hollywood and designer?

Thanks friend ;-)
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Hollywood on AOS4

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

AmigaOS 5.0? Um, doesn't look as if this is about to be released any time soon :-)
ArtBlink

Post by ArtBlink »

:D :D :D

Do you make a new version of Hollywood? in future ?
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

The big question would be other, how to adapt the Hollywood to every new Amiga OS4 or MorphOS updates because for example with OS4 eith every new update some things for example programs leave to run but in a new update again run but in the next not, and whith Hollywood this happen for example with the VAMP proyect.
fingus

Post by fingus »

An interesting option would be a build in Hollywood-Player in AmigaOS4.1.
So everybody can use the very much smaller .hwa (Hollywood-Applet-Files) as executables.

And that would be very competive to the small native apps that were compiled with the AmigaOS-SDK/Compiler.

I see it often in several Amiga-Forums:

Hollywood don´t seem to have a good reputation in the eyes of most people for different reasons, what´s a pitty indeed.
I think the main problem for the most people is firstly the big execute which also the smallest projects have (2-3MB).
Today in our times of fast DSL and Gigaherz AmigaNG-Hardware with Gigabytes of (Fast)RAM it shouldn´t be a problem at all,
but the hardcore conservative oldfashioned amiga user doesn´t like it.

Other possible reasons (it´s too slow) is more a problem of the Coder that using not timed Loops instead of Polling-Loops who eats up all CPU-Time for example ;-)

Hollywood is a powerful Language and deserve a better reputation.

If the Hollywood-Player can be part of AmigaOS, future Updates can be secured by using Amiupdate for example.
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

fingus wrote:An interesting option would be a build in Hollywood-Player in AmigaOS4.1.
So everybody can use the very much smaller .hwa (Hollywood-Applet-Files) as executables.

And that would be very competive to the small native apps that were compiled with the AmigaOS-SDK/Compiler.

I see it often in several Amiga-Forums:

Hollywood don´t seem to have a good reputation in the eyes of most people for different reasons, what´s a pitty indeed.
I think the main problem for the most people is firstly the big execute which also the smallest projects have (2-3MB).
Today in our times of fast DSL and Gigaherz AmigaNG-Hardware with Gigabytes of (Fast)RAM it shouldn´t be a problem at all,
but the hardcore conservative oldfashioned amiga user doesn´t like it.

Other possible reasons (it´s too slow) is more a problem of the Coder that using not timed Loops instead of Polling-Loops who eats up all CPU-Time for example ;-)

Hollywood is a powerful Language and deserve a better reputation.

If the Hollywood-Player can be part of AmigaOS, future Updates can be secured by using Amiupdate for example.
Yes under AmigaOS4 besides of slow the excutables have an easy to crash the system and Grim Reaper shows the typical DSI message.
airsoftsoftwair

@Juan Carlos: Please stop hijacking threads with these annoying comments about Hollywood on OS4. So far you have been unable to provide any reproducable code that crashes on OS4. AFAICS your crash reports are all related to your video player. It doesn't surprise me at all that this video player crashes every now and then because there are gazillions of video formats out there (many of them broken by flawed encoders) and avcodec.hwp surely only supports very few of them and might fail spectacularly with many others. That's normal and I don't really care about that. You can't expect me to write the next VLC Player. Besides that, avcodec.hwp is based on a libavcodec version that is almost 5 years old now. Hollywood itself is rock stable on OS4 and your problems are really only related to video playback so please stop spreading FUD about Hollywood on OS4.

@fingus:
The idea of a freely available Hollywood Player is still in my head and I'd really like to see it realized someday. Then everybody could just ship a single applet for all the platforms Hollywood supports, much like an SWF file. Concerning Hollywood's reputation on OS4 I think that this is not mainly because of the executable size. People will value a *good* program no matter the size. From my point of view the problem is rather that there are too many buggy programs thrown out by people without having been tested thoroughly. Hollywood might make programming very easy but it can't take the task of testing off programmers. Unfortunately, many Hollywood programmers seem to release rather buggy programs and expect the users to test them which is not a very professional way to act as a software author.
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

Andreas it in not only with the player, I work in games with other problems, the first yes, with video formats that under MOS works but not with OS4, also is because some routines under Windows work fine but under MorphOS or AmigaOS4 not, easy routines because I don't make big and great routines, I not trying do hijacking, but man some instructions work a different way under every system.
Also the bad reputation when people are programming with Hollywood for OS4 system? or how much apps or games there are made with Hollywood?
fingus

Post by fingus »

Andreas wrote: @fingus:
The idea of a freely available Hollywood Player is still in my head and I'd really like to see it realized someday. Then everybody could just ship a single applet for all the platforms Hollywood supports, much like an SWF file.
I wait for this day impatiently 8-)
Concerning Hollywood's reputation on OS4 I think that this is not mainly because of the executable size. People will value a *good* program no matter the size.
Thats only the half of the truth. My Flipclock for example, i did hard work for at least 2 years (sometimes in my freetime if i was motivated enough) into it to gain the best performance/experience with several painful and time consuming rewrites from the scratch.

The most of the people like it very much, but there are some dumb nuts out there that just judge a programm of its size like "this small weather/clock tool is 2,5 MB big? It´s ridiculous", that hurts really. And it´s a pitty because Hollywood is in my Eyes the Best MAL ever seen! It deserves more glory!

To concrete my aspect of the size-thing, its fitting particular for small productions that were in native-compiled-code about 10-500Kb of size. For big Projects like JACK it doesn´t seem to be a problem for most of the people, i think.
From my point of view the problem is rather that there are too many buggy programs thrown out by people without having been tested thoroughly. Hollywood might make programming very easy but it can't take the task of testing off programmers. Unfortunately, many Hollywood programmers seem to release rather buggy programs and expect the users to test them which is not a very professional way to act as a software author.
Absolutely Agreed! And that is a good reason why most of my privat used projects are never released to the public, because i´m to lazy to make it "bullet and idiot proof" ;-)
Maybe they will come one day if i have enough motivation, time will tell.
airsoftsoftwair

But if there was a Hollywood Player maybe people would complain that your program is not stand-alone and needs additional components :)