Step by Step execution of an Hollywood script

Feature requests for future versions of Hollywood can be voiced here
BeChris

Step by Step execution of an Hollywood script

Post by BeChris »

Hello everyone,

What I miss most with Hollywood development environment is that, contrary many others, it lacks some kind of "debugger".
This "debugger' could enable to execute a script step by step, display and change content of variables.

I saw here in Lua 5.0 manual that there is a debug package which could enable this.

So I had a look at the Hollywood SDK documentation in order to write a plugin in which I could call hw_RegisterCallback(HWCB_LINEHOOK).

In my registered callback I could use debug Lua package to mimic some simple debugger.

Unfortunately it seems debug Lua package is not part of Hollywood package and can't be used.

Do you have an idea how could reach this goal or are there any plans to provide a debugger with Hollywood ?
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Step by Step execution of an Hollywood script

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

A debugger is planned in the long run but no work has been done on it yet.

Which specific Lua debug functions are you missing?
BeChris

Re: Step by Step execution of an Hollywood script

Post by BeChris »

Hello, I'm not 100% sure but let's say having the possibility to use the whole debug package (debug.debug(), debug.gethook(), debug.getinfo(), ...) seems to be a must have to implement a debugger.
I don't promise to achieve something with that but nevertheless it will be helpfull I think.