StrToTable()

Feature requests for future versions of Hollywood can be voiced here
NathanH

StrToTable()

Post by NathanH »

I'm trying to create user-defined menus so am creating the menu at run-time, not compile-time. I parse the menu definition and DOS/REXX commands from a user file. I have compiled the menu definition in the correct format in a string. CreateMenu() complains that it wants a table, however. The above function would allow programmatically created tables from strings.

As an aside, I like to keep separate the operating system from other commands, scripts, tools, and utilities that I might download or write. I then add Extras:C, Extras:Libs, etc. to the existing assigns. It appears that Hollywood is hard-coded to look in SYS:Libs for its libraries rather than in LIBS:. It would be more Amiga-like to look in LIBS:.

Thanks for asking for wishes.

NathanH
Clyde

Re: StrToTable()

Post by Clyde »

Regarding your first wish you could try my json decoder/encoder: https://github.com/JohnArcher/json.hollywood

You could store your settings as a json file, load and decode it and then you have a table.
Currently using: Hollywood 9 with Windows IDE and Hollywood 9 with Visual Studio Code and hw4vsc
PEB

Post by PEB »

I don't know if this will help or not, but SplitStr() creates a table from a string.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

You could also use ReadTable() and WriteTable(). Combining those with a virtual file might give you what you want...
NathanH

Post by NathanH »

Thanks guys. Kinda a "duh" moment for me. I figured out how to do it without this function.

Nathan
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

Nice that you sorted it out. But maybe you could provide or describe your solution Could help others and would be interesting. Thanks!
Currently using: Hollywood 9 with Windows IDE and Hollywood 9 with Visual Studio Code and hw4vsc
airsoftsoftwair

Actually, this thread motivated me to finally come up with some serialization support in Hollywood. So here it is:

Code: Select all

- New: Added SerializeTable() and DeserializeTable() for conveniently converting a table into a string
  and back using a serializer plugin
- New: LoadPrefs() and SavePrefs() accept a new optional table argument now which accepts an "Adapter" 
  tag which allows you to specify a plugin to be used for serializing the data
- New [SDK]: Added HWPLUG_CAPS_SERIALIZE which allows plugins to hook into Hollywood's new serializing
  capabilities offered by WriteTable() and ReadTable()
- New: WriteTable() and ReadTable() accept a new "Adapter" tag now which can be used to route those
  calls through external plugins supporting Hollywood's new serialization interface 
And the first plugin to support serialization is xmlparser.hwp. It can now do the following:

- New: Plugin supports Hollywood 8.1's new serialization capabilities now; this means that
  you can easily serialize a table to XML using Hollywood's WriteTable()/SerializeTable()/
  SavePrefs() functions and read it back into a table using ReadTable()/DeserializeTable()/
  LoadPrefs(); even the serialization of binary data and functions is fully supported
So doing this:

t = {test = 1, bla = "Hello World", table1 = {table2 = {table3 = {af = "test"}}}, cool = "Hello & How are you\"'<>&", 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,
	subnode = {1,2,3,4,5, yooguys = 0.4567}, yeah = "12345", functest = Function(a, b, c)
		DebugPrint("Hello World this is a test", a, b, c) EndFunction}
a$ = SerializeTable(t, "xmlparser")
DebugPrint(a$)
Results in that:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<root>
        <item.1>2</item.1>
        <item.2>3</item.2>
        <item.3>4</item.3>
        <item.4>5</item.4>
        <functest type="function">
                G0hXQgEECAQGCAkJCLYJk2jn9X1BAgAAAAAAAAA/AEwAAAAAAwAIBwAAAE0AAABNAAAATQAAAE0AAABN
                AAAATQAAAE0AAAADAAAAAgAAAAAAAABhAAAAAAAGAAAAAgAAAAAAAABiAAAAAAAGAAAAAgAAAAAAAABj
                AAAAAAAGAAAAAAAAAAIAAAAECwAAAAAAAABkZWJ1Z3ByaW50AAQbAAAAAAAAAEhlbGxvIFdvcmxkIHRo
                aXMgaXMgYSB0ZXN0AAAAAAAHAAAABQAAA0EAAAQAAAAFAIAABgAAAQdggAIDIoAAAA==
        </functest>
        <item.0>1</item.0>
        <bla>Hello World</bla>
        <subnode>
                <item.1>2</item.1>
                <item.2>3</item.2>
                <item.3>4</item.3>
                <item.4>5</item.4>
                <item.0>1</item.0>
                <yooguys>0.4567</yooguys>
        </subnode>
        <yeah type="string">12345</yeah>
        <test>1</test>
        <table1>
                <table2>
                        <table3>
                                <af>test</af>
                        </table3>
                </table2>
        </table1>
        <cool>Hello &amp; How are you&quot;&apos;&lt;&gt;&amp;</cool>
</root>
And DeserializeTable() can be used to convert the XML above back into a table. I think this is very useful and it's quite powerful as well.
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

Yeah, this is really nice! Thanks, Andreas!

EDIT: But booleans in the table will be converted to 0/1 in the xml, right?
airsoftsoftwair

Clyde wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:03 pm EDIT: But booleans in the table will be converted to 0/1 in the xml, right?
Hollywood doesn't support booleans. Booleans are just numbers which means that they will indeed appear as 0 and 1 in the XML.
airsoftsoftwair

- New: Added JSON support; SerializeTable() and DeserializeTable() will now (de)serialize its data to/
  from the JSON format by default; you can change this behaviour by specifying the optional adapter
  argument; ReadTable(), WriteTable(), LoadPrefs(), and SavePrefs() will continue to use Hollywood's
  proprietary table serialization data format for compatibility reasons; you can force those functions
  to use JSON, however, by passing "default" in the "Adapter" table field; Hollywood's proprietary table
  serializer can be accessed by passing "inbuilt" in the "Adapter" table field