Page dimensions and saving in pdf

Feature requests for future versions can be voiced here
emeck

Page dimensions and saving in pdf

Post by emeck »

Hello, two wishes for the list.

First, could it be possible to specify page dimensions in units like cm, mm, inches, or even selecting some standard page formats like A4, A3 and such? Also with horizontal or vertical orientation?

Second, saving to PDF each page or a range of pages would also be very useful. I know there is saving to bmp but...

From time to time I need to make flyers and sent them as PDFs for printing. This last time I wanted to do it with my Amigas, so Designer came to the rescue. With those two options Designer can be a very useful kinda DTP program also 8-)

HW rocks!
PowerBook 5.2 MorphOS 3.15
PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.15
Amiga 1200 BPPC/BVision AOS4.1 FE
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Page dimensions and saving in pdf

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

I agree that PDF export would be very nice but it's lots of work so don't expect miracles here.
fingus

Post by fingus »

In the meantime you just install one of the hundreds free php-scripts on some webspace wo can render pdfs for you with any source (jpg, png, text) as Workaround.
emeck

Post by emeck »

Yes, that would do it. But no need to go online for that, ImageMagick does the trick. It is working fine for me.
r-tea

Post by r-tea »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 11:17 pm I agree that PDF export would be very nice but it's lots of work so don't expect miracles here.
The Polybios' last appearance. Does this change anything in that case?
airsoftsoftwair

Not really, would still be a lot of work to export Designer pages into PDFs and the look wouldn't be identical because Designer itself isn't based on PDF. In order to achieve an identical look, Designer would have to use PDF internally but that's of course overkill, especially on m68k systems :)
r-tea

Post by r-tea »

Then how about an indirect way? An external tool to convert Designer's stuff to PDF?
airsoftsoftwair

But that wouldn't solve the problem either... when converting Designer pages to PDF it would always lead to something that looks similar, but not really the same, especially when it comes to text layout, etc.
amyren

Post by amyren »

emeck wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:21 pm Yes, that would do it. But no need to go online for that, ImageMagick does the trick. It is working fine for me.
Never tried ImageMagick before, but found that it does the job very well. Even you can easily rotate the pages from landscape to portrait if wanted.

Code: Select all

convert test.png -rotate 90 -write test.pdf test.pdf
But I am a bit uncertain what is the correct syntax for that convert command?
In the commandline above the pdf is actually created twice, the last argument overwrites the first file. But unless you write something after the first filename, it will complain about a missing argument for -write
The shell help lists the option like '-write filename', so I am uncertain about what argument its looking for.

Anyway, for the wish from the OP, I think it would be fulfulled if the option to convert it to pdf was added to the Project/image/page/ menu. Options for 90 or 270 rotating could be added as well. I notice that the ImageMagick licence already is included in the docs, so I guess the convert binary is legal to distribute with Designer.
emeck

Post by emeck »

amyren wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:13 pm Never tried ImageMagick before, but found that it does the job very well. Even you can easily rotate the pages from landscape to portrait if wanted.

Code: Select all

convert test.png -rotate 90 -write test.pdf test.pdf
But I am a bit uncertain what is the correct syntax for that convert command?
In the commandline above the pdf is actually created twice, the last argument overwrites the first file. But unless you write something after the first filename, it will complain about a missing argument for -write
The shell help lists the option like '-write filename', so I am uncertain about what argument its looking for.
I haven't use imagemagick for some time. In fact, I don't have it installed anymore. RNOEffects does a very good job converting to PDF.