Can you read the X / Y value from objects into variables?

Anything related to Hollywood Designer goes in here
amyren

Can you read the X / Y value from objects into variables?

Post by amyren »

I was about to put this in the wishlist area, the ability to read object x/y positions and mouse x/y position into variables.
Then I discovered that the 'Set Variable' event does support using MouseX() as value.

Is this also possible for object, to get their position, angle or dimmension and use them in variables?
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Can you read the X / Y value from objects into variables?

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

No, but something like this is planned for the next version. Of course you can also use custom code for this, e.g.

Code: Select all

varname = GetAttribute(#LAYER, %!OBJECTID, #ATTRXPOS)
amyren

Post by amyren »

Yes. Designer is like a Wolf in Sheep's clothing.
Aperently it can do many basic tasks, but by using code it can do anything. :twisted:

I got the Designer some years ago along with HollyWood, thinking that it would be easier to start with instead of learning Hollywood. But then, due to many good example code and good documentation, I found that Hollywood was not that hard even for beginners.
Now I decided to re-discover Designer, and I made myself a project which I stubbornly try to se how far I can get without using code.

But I am now curious about the plans for Designer. You mention stuff that may be in the next release, and some issues in other posts you already have labeled as FIXED.
Do you plan to relase builds with minor changes for the things already fixed, or will everything be put together in the next major release?
(It would be nice to have at least the issues that was bugs resolved in a not to long timeframe)
airsoftsoftwair

amyren wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:08 am Do you plan to relase builds with minor changes for the things already fixed, or will everything be put together in the next major release?
The latter.
airsoftsoftwair

Code: Select all

- New: Added "Get object attribute" action event; this is an extensive action event which allows you to
  read all sorts of states into a user variable, e.g. object position, size, transformation, color, anim
  and video states, sound states, mouse and keyboard states and so on; this can be quite useful when
  using action objects to write subroutines in Designer