Video support

Anything related to Hollywood Designer goes in here
r-tea

Video support

Post by r-tea »

As Designer supports video export and embedding videos, I wonder if it makes possible to load an video and "stick" some text onto certain frames.
lazi

Re: Video support

Post by lazi »

Have not tried it before, but if Designer plays videos in normal playback mode - and as it is the fastest mode it should be play like that - no other function can draw anything on top of the video.

Other restriction takes place if I remember correctly if you want to write your script to video if it has video playing.
Trying to make a video running the VideoFX example will fail, because PlayVideo() cannot be used in video recording mode.

So I think this is a no-go currently.

Without these restrictions Hollywood would be able to do video editing tasks. But I don't think that would be a viable task on Amiga platforms speedwise and the other platforms has already nice tools for that. It means for me that it will not change in the fututre.
Mufa

Post by Mufa »

Instead of video, you can use the play animation function. Only you need to have a video in AVI Mjpeg format (or archaic animgif and anim iff formats). I created dozens of films in Designer, in which I embed other films of Avi Mjpeg.
r-tea

Post by r-tea »

But what about embeding text description within an animation or video? I need kind of subtitles built in video.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Hollywood has the technology for something like this because it also allows videos to be used as layers. This makes it possible to overlay subtitles onto them. But it's not supported by Designer (yet).
airsoftsoftwair

Mufa wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:05 pm Instead of video, you can use the play animation function. Only you need to have a video in AVI Mjpeg format (or archaic animgif and anim iff formats). I created dozens of films in Designer, in which I embed other films of Avi Mjpeg.
Btw, Hollywood has an import fix for Motion JPEG AVIs, another reason to upgrade :)
r-tea

Post by r-tea »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:45 pm Hollywood has the technology for something like this because it also allows videos to be used as layers. This makes it possible to overlay subtitles onto them. But it's not supported by Designer (yet).
Does it mean I can't (for now) use Designer to do it, but I'm able to reach my goal by writing a script?
airsoftsoftwair

Yes, definitely. You need to set the "UseLayer" tag to TRUE in PlayVideo(). Then PlayVideo() will create a layer for the video. This means that you can use all of the layers functionality with the video layer, e.g. you can transform it, apply filters, overlay text on it, just everything. Take a look at the VideoFX example, it shows what is possible with vide layers.
lazi

Post by lazi »

But he won't be able to export it as a video, won't he?
airsoftsoftwair

lazi wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:29 pm But he won't be able to export it as a video, won't he?
Right, I overlooked that. This is indeed impossible at the moment.