IDE confused by the existence of non_ASCII

Forum for discussion about the Windows IDE of Hollywood
youyise

IDE confused by the existence of non_ASCII

Post by youyise »

All of a sudden I started getting messages like "no such file" (or something like that) no matter which of my recent projects I tried to open… it turns out it's because the folder they were in has some Chinese characters in its name.

Preemptively saying… "Don't use non-American Standard Code for Information Interchange in your folder names" does not take into account that nowadays the majority of professional software actually respects customer's language and behaves accordingly. So if I make a new folder in Directory Opus the default name is “新建文件夹”, a blank document in Photoshop is “未命名-1” (as they behave accordingly in other localized versions too) etc. Same goes for Desktop, My Documents and other folders of that kind, they all have non-ASCII names.
Bugala

Re: IDE confused by the existence of non_ASCII

Post by Bugala »

Are you using WIndows, and whcih version?

I have encountered this same problem in windows at one point with other files as i had some fiels contaning chinese characters. there are two options to fix this.

You put Chinese support to your machine again.

or then you can open reasource management and change name of each of these files containing chinese characters to not have them.
youyise

Post by youyise »

Windows 7 64 bit. I already have Chinese support installed and Chinese version of Windows and other software I'm using daily like Photoshop and Open Office… Besides I'm trying to avoid having to rename half of my assets directories (bitmaps, audio etc that I already named using non-ASCII names) just because of an atavism basically.

My point is that the IDE should support opening and saving of the files regardless of the name of the folder. All other software manages to do it without problems: Notepad, Open Office, all Adobe stuff, Notepad++, Audacity, Pro Motion, Total Recorder, you name it. I can't think of more than two other programs that can't do it (at least in the last 10 or so years).
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

The reason for this atavism is basically that there are almost zero Hollywood users in the Asian world so there just was no demand for Unicode support. But I absolutely agree that this should be supported in 2014... hopefully it increases my motivation to implement this properly now that I know there's some demand for it :)
youyise

Post by youyise »

Thanks for considering it! Out of curiosity isn't this the problem in Europe too, nowadays I'd expect lots of European customers occasionally use non-ASCII letters in their folder / file names (even if they don't they'll eventually end up with such files anyway because their friends, clients, localized software etc are using them)?

For now I just created a dedicated folder on my project partition for Hollywood and copy it all to my "cloud" folder every now and then.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

It's not a problem with European charsets because their characters all fit into 8 bits. That's why Hollywood will work fine with them although the language itself is fixed to the ISO-8859-1 (Latin 1) charset but that already covers the most important European languages (French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, German, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish and some others). The problem with Chinese is that there are too many characters to fit into 8 bits. That's why supporting real Unicode is not something that can be implemented in an afternoon... it needs quite a major overhaul of the code but it's planned.