Feature request: Functions List Improvements

Forum for discussion about the Windows IDE of Hollywood
mrupp

Feature request: Functions List Improvements

Post by mrupp »

Yes, it's me again. :D
But there's one more great idea I just cannot hold back :idea: . Alright, two ideas actually... :idea: :idea:
Improvements for... tatahh...

THE FUNCTIONS LIST
  1. The Functions List is a very handy feature to jump straight to a function's definition. In another post I mentioned Intellisense and you might have guessed that I'm a bit of lazy typer. I totally admit that and willingly :lol: .
    How about this: You're typing happily ahead and now you'd like to call one of your precious functions with this utterly long name (to make totally clear what it's doing even if you look at it 2 years from now). But the list of function names is right there, you just want to get that name into your code.
    • Now you press a shortcut (let's say Ctrl-Space or some other you might think is more appropriate)
    • The Functions List gets the focus
    • You select your function using the arrow keys and press Enter
    • The name (and maybe even an opening bracket) is inserted into your code at cursor position and has gotten the focus back so you can go on with typing the arguments
    • (pressing F2 instead of Enter could jump to the function's definition and double clicking would... hmmm... I'd prefer it to do the same as Enter, actually, instead of jumping the definition as it does now)
    Wouldn't that be most splendid?
  2. I very much love the upper-lower-case-correcting feature of the IDE. Now, I assume you have dictionary for keywords to correct. Couln't you just add the list of functions to that dictionary and there you go --> own functions would be case corrected as well!
So much for now... :D
Cheers,
Michael
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Feature request: Functions List Improvements

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

mrupp wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:27 pm Yes, it's me again. :D
But there's one more great idea I just cannot hold back :idea: . Alright, two ideas actually... :idea: :idea:
Improvements for... tatahh...

THE FUNCTIONS LIST
  1. The Functions List is a very handy feature to jump straight to a function's definition. In another post I mentioned Intellisense and you might have guessed that I'm a bit of lazy typer. I totally admit that and willingly :lol: .
    How about this: You're typing happily ahead and now you'd like to call one of your precious functions with this utterly long name (to make totally clear what it's doing even if you look at it 2 years from now). But the list of function names is right there, you just want to get that name into your code.
    • Now you press a shortcut (let's say Ctrl-Space or some other you might think is more appropriate)
    • The Functions List gets the focus
    • You select your function using the arrow keys and press Enter
    • The name (and maybe even an opening bracket) is inserted into your code at cursor position and has gotten the focus back so you can go on with typing the arguments
    • (pressing F2 instead of Enter could jump to the function's definition and double clicking would... hmmm... I'd prefer it to do the same as Enter, actually, instead of jumping the definition as it does now)
    Wouldn't that be most splendid?
Maybe but it's a somewhat special interest feature and probably of not much use for the general public...
mrupp wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:27 pm [*]I very much love the upper-lower-case-correcting feature of the IDE. Now, I assume you have dictionary for keywords to correct. Couln't you just add the list of functions to that dictionary and there you go --> own functions would be case corrected as well!
This sounds like a useful feature. It's implemented now:

Code: Select all

- New [IDE]: When "Auto spelling adaptation" is active, the IDE will also adapt the spelling of user-defined
  functions now; this can be turned off by setting the new "Adapt spelling of user functions" option in the settings
mrupp

Re: Feature request: Functions List Improvements

Post by mrupp »

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:10 pm Maybe but it's a somewhat special interest feature and probably of not much use for the general public...
Alright, apparently my enthusiasm for this exeptionally brilliant idea couldn't really spark :lol:. That's okay, I'm very grateful for all the other inputs of mine that have been implemented, really! Thanks you so much for listening to me, Andreas!

I just thought I'd figured out the most convenient way (for the IDE user at least, maybe not for the IDE developer) to get this function name from the list into the code itself. But how about a simple "Copy to clipboard / Ctrl-C" of the selected function name, if the function list has the focus, instead? That'd be the second most convenient way then... ;)