Hollywood Blocks v. 0.3

The place for any Hollywood tutorials
jalih

Hollywood Blocks v. 0.3

Post by jalih »

Hi all,

After a long break, I decided to do some Hollywood game programming. Earlier, I wrote some games and software with Fortran, REXX and PL/I. In the process I learned some new tricks and decided to rewrite my old Tetris clone game in Hollywood.

Binaries and source available: here

Features:
- looks and plays like Tetris game
- ugly graphics
- borrowed music and sound
- use left and right arrow keys to move, up arrow key to rotate, down arrow key to speed up falling and space key to drop blocks.
- use p - key to pause the game
- probably shit loads of bugs, but hey it's free

Game uses my old framework to handle the game state management, timing and some other stuff. I think it's the fastest way to write games in Hollywood.

Feel free to do anything you want with the sources...
Bugala

Re: Hollywood Blocks v. 0.3

Post by Bugala »

I never realised how much impact SID-tunes made to C64. for when i played your game and that music was playing on background, it felt in positive sense like I had been playing some C64 game again, and it even felt like i was playing some pretty good C64 game there.

You seem to be using some much more advanced coding than I am. Ou use methods a lot there. I have only just been learning about them and trying them out a bit. Couldnt even figure out how your game works just by quick look at code since those Methods are still hard to read as i havent got used to them yet.

But nice game, and thanks from the source!
bitRocky

Post by bitRocky »

hi jalih,

could you compile a MorphOS version and/or a compress applet version?

Thanks in advance!
jalih

Post by jalih »

bitRocky wrote: could you compile a MorphOS version and/or a compress applet version?
Compiled version for MorphOS available here
Bugala wrote: You seem to be using some much more advanced coding than I am. Ou use methods a lot there. I have only just been learning about them and trying them out a bit. Couldnt even figure out how your game works just by quick look at code since those Methods are still hard to read as i havent got used to them yet.
I am not a big fan of OOP, I usually just use classes like a simple struct with functions. Only proper use of OOP-style coding in my game is the primitives.hws from my game framework.

The structure of the game is very simple, and my framework does most of the job:

Every game written with my framework has "main" state: You just override game.load(), game.draw() and game.update(dt) methods by writing your own versions. Those methods are just empty placeholders by default.

game.load() is called once when the game loads and is used for setting everything up.

game.draw() is used for drawing.

game.update(dt) is used for updating the game. Framework calls this method with delta time as parameter, so you can use it for timing purposes. You can set the desired game update fps rate with game:setUpdateRate(fps) method.

Game framework provides support for game states. Game states can be registered and set as currently active state. Game state is just a table with init(), draw() and update(dt) methods. Framework automatically handles calling those methods in right order: init() is called once the state is changed, update(dt) is called on every frame and draw() is called on every frame if game:drawAuto(True) is set or on the first frame and after the game:drawON() call.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Nice game! You should consider uploading it to Aminet and/or post about it on amigaworld.net as well to get some more attention...