Simple PONG-game tutorial for Beginner Coders

The place for any Hollywood tutorials
bitRocky

Re: Simple PONG-game tutorial for Beginner Coders

Post by bitRocky »

could someone make an executable (MorphOS) of this PONG game or an applet?
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

Here is MorphOS: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/337 ... orphos.exe
and applet version: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/337 ... applet.hwa

Applet version takes only 3 kb.

This is the version which uses the timer to make it run in each machine at same speed, hence the speed numbers are not the same as in tutorial. This is using 300 for ballstartpeed and 700 for computerspeed (that is 300 and 700 pixels per second)
bitRocky

Post by bitRocky »

Thanks!
And merry chrismas!
bitRocky

Post by bitRocky »

The applet isn't working here, Hollywood Player says it only supports compressed applets!
Yasu

Post by Yasu »

I have finally been able to understand the parts discussed (took a lot of time reading and re-reading though). Now I'm finished :)

I want to send you the text so you can check if it's good enough for you. It's of course in Swedish, but with Google Translate it should be comprehensible.
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

@BitRocky

I used the Hollywoods windows versions editor that comes with it and simply chose the option "Compile Applet" from the menus.
other than that, i have no idea what that menu option means, nor have i ever tried using applet.

I might take a look at that at some point, but other than that, i guess we have to wait for Andreas to answer what is possibly wrong there.

@Yasu

I do understand little bit of swedish. Not enough that I had been able to right away figure out how to play Hello Kitty card game which had only Swedish instructions, but enough that eventually after re reading the swedish instructions several times and finally checking from google translation one-two sentences, i was able to figure out what were the instructions of that game.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Just add the -compress flag in IDE settings -> Hollywood -> Options for compiling scripts, e.g.

Code: Select all

%HWPATH %SCRIPT -compile %OUTEXE -exetype %EXEPLATFORM -debugdevice ::hwnd%IDEWINDOW -compress
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

@BitRocky

try the applet now. I uploaded a new version which was made with that -compile setting that Andreas adviced to do. Link is still the same.
jalih

Post by jalih »

I wrote a version of the Bugala's Pong example game using my framework.

It also serves as a demonstration on how to do math with rectangles and points using primitives library:

- Rectancles are used for ball and paddles.
- Points are used for location vectors and movement vectors.

Available here
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

Thanks Jalih, although I still have to look your code more to understand it better, this is already very useful in learning some more advanced technics of doing things.