Any interest for some simple tutorials?

The place for any Hollywood tutorials
Juan Carlos

Re: Any interest for some simple tutorials?

Post by Juan Carlos »

jalih wrote:Hello,

I might try to write some simple Hollywood 2d-game tutorials, anyone interested?

Space Invaders game might be a good candidate for an example game. While learning Lua, I wrote this for Windows in a couple of hours. Converting it to Hollywood is quite an easy task.
Yes, but friend make a bounty, because the tutorials how programming games with Hollywood, Andreas should have made them, because once a year he makes us pay for a a new Hollywood without clear examples of How programming games :ugeek:
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Sorry, but it's not my job to teach you how to program games. Get a book or use Google. Once you know how it's done, it's no big deal to do it in Hollywood.
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

Andreas wrote:Sorry, but it's not my job to teach you how to program games. Get a book or use Google. Once you know how it's done, it's no big deal to do it in Hollywood.
Exactly, Andreas, but other programming languages have more support, and not only books, examples and more example are a good help, and not the cracktros, because Hollywood is to programming or make cractros, because I'm losing time and money, other languages has good examples to learn or give ideas of how make the things, for example the CSS, Javasicript, VisualBasic, C, Hollywood not, now I begining to search Lua routines, or is that I have dedicate 24 hoours to programing, reprograming, routines, I have a life and job, and with me litlle free time, if I programming with so problems, well, the next step, is left Hollywood and learn Visual Basic, with more support and forums.

P.D.: There is more support with the C in Amiga gcc than with Hollywood, for example Amiga Future has a workshop.
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

It is true that Hollywood could do with some nice game programming tutorials, but Hollywood is a one man project (as far as i have understood), so I rather see Andreas adding features and fixing bugs than use his time for games making manual.

I had some plan on making some hollywood programming tutorials that would have covered some gaming aspects too, but unfortunately that Camtasia video capture software i was using had only 1 month trial and cost too much (I think it was bit less than 300 USD) to buy the full version. But I might buy it in future and continue with the tutorial.
djrikki

Post by djrikki »

Ditto.

Andreas has already gone to great lengths to provide example programs that are well-commented and the HTML guide and index pages are a big-time saver.

Before anyone dives in and expects to create the next 'killer-game' with little-to-no experience behind them really needs to step back and educate themselves from the beginning... starting at Chapter 1 before thinking how to play music, how to show a graphic, what do with an XML parser *rollseyes* etc..

People can spend hours and hours, days and months learning to make the most of even one programming language.

Programming is like learning to speak a foreign language and is certainly not for everyone.

Start at the very beginning, learning the concepts of variables, arrays and functions and move on from there. Create some simple programs for example:

* Variables and Operators: Ask the user to enter a two numbers, ask them for an operator ( +, -, / and *). Eval()uate the expression and display the result.

* Arrays: Create a price list of items, Oranges 10p, Bananas 25p, Apples 50... etc etc
Keep prompting the user using ListRequest() to select fruit from the store (your array) and how many they want of this fruit, when the user leaves the store (exits a Repeat..Until loop) calculate the total combined of all items. You could even go further and display the contents of their shopping basket, item totals and grand total. Oh and add Tax to the total, lets say 20%.

* Functions: Perhaps optimise your array program above into a set of functions accepting parameters and see far down you can reduce your source code.

After you've done the above procedural loops you could expand their functionality by learning a little how event handling works and Switch...case, i.e. the fruit shop one you could create buttons for 'Adding more fruit to basket' and a button to 'End shopping'.

I know that sounds lame and boring, but most programmers would have started their learning by doing stuff like that before moving on to more 'interesting stuff'.

You need to learn to walk before you can learn to run.
Evolve - Rapid GUI Development tool for MUI Royale and RapaGUI
http://myevolve.wordpress.com
jalih

Post by jalih »

Start with simple things like Snake game for an example.

In fact I am learning Win32 programming with PL/I at the moment and here is my work in progress Snake game.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Another possibility to learn games programming would be to take an existing game and try to port it to Hollywood. This would be a learning-by-doing approach. There are thousands of open source games (SDL etc.) on the Internet. Porting such a game to Hollywood should give one good insights into game design techniques.
amigadave

Post by amigadave »

Bugala wrote:It is true that Hollywood could do with some nice game programming tutorials, but Hollywood is a one man project (as far as i have understood), so I rather see Andreas adding features and fixing bugs than use his time for games making manual.

I had some plan on making some hollywood programming tutorials that would have covered some gaming aspects too, but unfortunately that Camtasia video capture software i was using had only 1 month trial and cost too much (I think it was bit less than 300 USD) to buy the full version. But I might buy it in future and continue with the tutorial.
Can't you reset your computer date to allow more time to use the trial version of Camtasia, so you can complete your tutorial? There must be some way to allow you to re-install it, or fiddle with the date/time to keep the trial version working just long enough for you to finish your project.

I have no objections to paying small amounts to programmers who make tutorials. If Andreas can provide some organization and space here on his site, all tutorials could eventually be put into one archive and coordinated with each other to make them more like a formal teaching tool for Hollywood.

Just a thought.
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

There propably would be some way to retry that trial or make it last longer or something. But im not very interested in starting to fiddle with that, especially since I dont even know at what speed and how many of those tutorials would come.

For yes, using whole month just for that would propably be well enough to finish them all, but since Im doing them more of hobby point of view, it could take a long long time.
jalih

Post by jalih »

I will probably finish a Mine Sweeper game later this week...

As always sources will be available here for download.