A little teaser for my upcoming 2d platform game tutorial

The place for any Hollywood tutorials
jalih

A little teaser for my upcoming 2d platform game tutorial

Post by jalih »

Hi all,

I am planning to write a Super Mario style 2d platform game tutorial in Hollywood using my simple game framework.

Here is a little teaser

Credits must go to Bugala for letting me use his game character from Help my cat!
airsoftsoftwair

Re: A little teaser for my upcoming 2d platform game tutoria

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Looks promising, keep it coming!
sinisrus

Post by sinisrus »

I long to see the source.
I need to learn and there are no sufficient examples
jalih

Post by jalih »

sinisrus wrote:I long to see the source.
I need to learn and there are no sufficient examples
It should be available in about two or three weeks along with a tutorial!

I added non-player character into tutorial game. Yes, it's a cat and becomes really flat bloody mess when you jump on it (Sorry Bugala, I couldn't resist! :D ).
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

Thanks Jalih for your efforts, I'll like make games of plataforms or shot em up like this inb flash:
http://www.flashgames247.com/play/16881.html
It is possible the sprites and shot check in the same cycle, because I tryed make a zombies game with bad results, only shoting to stoped zombies. Somwthing frustate because now only I can make erotic board games :roll:
sinisrus

Post by sinisrus »

@jalih

the new tutorial about?
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

Is it still on schedule, there going to be annual Speedgame competition on christiandevs.com again starting june 19th (1 week design period first, so no programming until 26th day) and I was thinking of maybe using your platform engine this year to make a game to that competition, since I dont think i have time, interest or energy to start making a game from scratch this year as I have been concentrating on making that Kings of Israel game. Hence i thought your 2d platformer engine could be good choice, that I could get something sensible done in much less effort.
jalih

Post by jalih »

Bugala wrote:Is it still on schedule, there going to be annual Speedgame competition on christiandevs.com again starting june 19th (1 week design period first, so no programming until 26th day) and I was thinking of maybe using your platform engine this year to make a game to that competition, since I dont think i have time, interest or energy to start making a game from scratch this year as I have been concentrating on making that Kings of Israel game. Hence i thought your 2d platformer engine could be good choice, that I could get something sensible done in much less effort.
I am still working on it. My tutorial has been delayed a bit, because my work situation changed recently and it's been keeping me quite busy.

Anyway, I have put demo sources available here and it should work as a good starting point.

Some remarks:

- You should understand the concepts of Point, Rect and Image. Most of my code is based around these simple objects and code for them resides inside: "HGF\primitives\primitives.hws".

- Drawing code resides inside: "HGF\primitives\HGFdraw.hws"

- My simple game framework, game state and timing code resides inside: "HGF\game.hws"

- Tilemap code resides inside: "HGF\tilemap\" directory.

There is a crude tile map editor included as: "maped.hws". It's fixed using 32x32 tiles. Sample tileset image and simple map is located inside the "data" directory. Map editor shows the min and max points of the tile cursor to aid the collision rectangle definition.

For performance reasons, one should probably use a bigger tile size. Modification should be quite straightforward to do.

Hope this helps... Let me know, if you need any help.
amyren

Re: A little teaser for my upcoming 2d platform game tutorial

Post by amyren »

I guess the tutorial is gone into oblivion, but I was curious to look at the demo source.
The dropbox file is not available anymore, is it available somewhere else?
airsoftsoftwair

Re: A little teaser for my upcoming 2d platform game tutorial

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

amyren wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:11 pm I guess the tutorial is gone into oblivion, but I was curious to look at the demo source.
The dropbox file is not available anymore, is it available somewhere else?
Have you tried asking ChatGPT about it? *scnr* ;)