Programming with JoyPad/GamePad

Discuss any general programming issues here
Redlion

Programming with JoyPad/GamePad

Post by Redlion »

Hi all,

I have been trying to program a game using the Joypad/Gamepad as the controller, but I have stumbled because Hollywood does not recognise buttons 8 , 9 and 10.
( I can get it to work on a Windows PC)

If I go to the Prefs directory and click on Input, then select USB my Logitech Precision Gamepad version 2, then hit Test/Calibrate Unit button all of the button work.

Question Does anyone else use a Joypad/Gamepad with Hollywood and do all the buttons work? If so what is the make and model of your Joypad/Gamepad.

Does anyone have any working software that uses the Joypad/Gamepad that I could try.

I am using Hollywod 9.1 on AmigaOS Release 4.1 - Final Edition Update 2, SAM 460EX with 2.048 Mb Fast Ram and a Radeon HD7700 video card.

Cheers
Leo
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Redlion
Sam460 Lite
A4000 A3000 A2000 A1200 A1000 A600 A500 CD32
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Programming with JoyPad/GamePad

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

It's a known limitation on AmigaOS. On AmigaOS, gamepad support is implemented through lowlevel.library which was originally created by Commodore for the CD32. Since the CD32 gamepad has 7 buttons (blue, red, yellow, green, forward, reverse, play) lowlevel.library doesn't support more than that and since Hollywood uses lowlevel.library this is also the maximum number supported by Hollywood.

This could be fixed by adding AmigaInput support to Hollywood but that currently doesn't have a high priority here because I think 7 buttons should be sufficient for starters ;)
amyren

Post by amyren »

Will using a lowlevel.library replacement have any effect with Hollywood?
Like NewLowLevel found on aminet.
airsoftsoftwair

amyren wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:16 pm Will using a lowlevel.library replacement have any effect with Hollywood?
Like NewLowLevel found on aminet.
Nope, the Hollywood's Amiga backend only supports 7 buttons, no matter what lowlevel.library is installed.
airsoftsoftwair

Code: Select all

- New [OS4]: Added support for AmigaInput; you can activate AmigaInput support on OS4 by setting the 
  "UseAmigaInput" tag to TRUE in the new ConfigureJoystick() function; the advantage of using AmigaInput
  instead of lowlevel.library is that you can query more than 7 buttons and users don't have to use the
  AmigaInput prefs to map their controllers to lowlevel.library ports