GPL projects

Discuss any general programming issues here
emeck

GPL projects

Post by emeck »

Hello,

I'm interested in using the assets of a GPL project for reimplementing it with Hollywood, so to make it available to Amiga systems, under another name.

Project's authors like the idea but one has expressed corncern about Hollywood's proprietary nature. It uses GPL, which requires that any derivative code must also be GPL. And as he/she understands, you can't make a GPL software based on a proprietary language.

But as I understand, the derivative code, in Hollywood, would be GPL and available as all the assets and its licences (mostly CC-BY-SA) and that has nothing to do with Hollywood's proprietary nature. Am I right?
PowerBook 5.2 MorphOS 3.15
PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.15
Amiga 1200 BPPC/BVision AOS4.1 FE
airsoftsoftwair

Re: GPL projects

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

That's probably a question nobody will want to answer (me neither) because everything GPL is complicated so the only way to be on the safe side is asking a lawyer :)
emeck

Re: GPL projects

Post by emeck »

Thanks Andreas. Yes, GPL seems complicated.

In summary, it seems that for distributing under GPL, not only the software must not be linked to proprietary libraries but also any user should be able to recompile it without requiring proprietary tools. So that makes GPL not ok for Hollywood.

Maybe someone wants to share which open license use with her/his HW projects and why? BSD, MIT, Apache...
PowerBook 5.2 MorphOS 3.15
PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.15
Amiga 1200 BPPC/BVision AOS4.1 FE