Planamarama best performance Questions

Discuss any general programming issues here
fingus

Planamarama best performance Questions

Post by fingus »

What mode/tweaks to use to have the fastest performance of Planamarama on AmigaAGA?

I start to code a graphical Game-Launcher with LORES-Screen in 8Bit (320x240). I blit some Brushes and textout on every-screen. I try double-Buffering but get less then or equal of 1fps. I did use Disable/Enable Linehook while drawing the backbuffer.
Im using Fblit with WINUAE with the settings of my real Amiga (68030, 32MB Fastram). I didn´t test it yet on my real Amiga with Blizzard1230IV/68030-50Mhz/32MB/No FPU, maybe it runs there faster?

At least i need 4-10fps to get the experience ok for me/the user.
I know that the AGA-Chipset isn´t that fast in 8Bit 256color-Mode.

My Questions are:
- Whats the fastest Method for AGA-Output? (Sprites, Brushes, Double-Buffering..etc?)
- Is there Hardware-Acceleration for Planamarama in Hollywood within? (Using Hardware-Brushes working on AmigaAGA?)
fingus

Re: Planamarama best performance Questions

Post by fingus »

I will try first a mix of Sprites and for the Background one Brush, this seems to be promising in first tests.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

fingus wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:09 pm - Whats the fastest Method for AGA-Output? (Sprites, Brushes, Double-Buffering..etc?)
You need to know that Plananarama currently needs to convert all graphics from true colour to 8-bit planar first before it is able to draw them. That obviously is slow as hell. That's why Plananarama caches converted bitmaps so that they can be drawn faster the next time. However, this is of course only going to work in case bitmaps aren't modified. Whenever they are modified, they once again need to be mapped from true colour to 8-bit planar. So you should avoid all drawing to brushes using SelectBrush() etc. because as soon as a brush has been modified, it needs to be remapped again.

I'd work with a set of prebuilt bitmaps that aren't modified and then drawn as sprites maybe. Maybe test the different "AnimationTechniques" examples that come with Hollywood. I'd guess that the one that uses sprites for drawing is the fastest on Plananarama.
fingus wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:09 pm - Is there Hardware-Acceleration for Planamarama in Hollywood within? (Using Hardware-Brushes working on AmigaAGA?)
No, there is no hardware acceleration for the classic hardware. But Plananarama 2.0 will add support for Hollywood 9's new palette graphics. This should make drawing faster because then you can directly set the screen's palette and can draw graphics directly using the screen's pens which will no longer require any remapping. So the best idea is probably to wait for Plananarama 2.0 :)
fingus

Post by fingus »

I save all graphics-data as 8bit iff-files with the same shared palette. So i´m hoping and waiting for the Planamarama2.0-Plugin. Thanks for your work for the Classic-Amiga.
fingus

Post by fingus »

One other Question:

Can i use a HAM6/8-Mode with Planamarama?
plouf

Post by plouf »

i doubt since HAM require special coding and planarama Readme clearly specifies
"All resolutions are supported - from 8-bit LowRes to 1-bit
productivity SuperHighRes Interlace."
so 8bit is max
Christos
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

fingus wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:12 am I save all graphics-data as 8bit iff-files with the same shared palette.
Yes, that's the right approach for quicker drawing with Plananarama 2.0. You also need to configure your display to use that palette then by doing something like:

Code: Select all

@DISPLAY {Palette = <your palette>}
Then Plananarama will never have to do any remapping so drawing should be quicker even though still rather slow but probably acceptable for quite some purposes.
fingus wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:15 am One other Question:

Can i use a HAM6/8-Mode with Planamarama?
No, HAM modes aren't supported yet.