RotateTextObject vs RotateLayer with a vector font text

Discuss any general programming issues here
pecaN

RotateTextObject vs RotateLayer with a vector font text

Post by pecaN »

Hi,

maybe it was discussed here already but I haven't found so I'm asking...

According to manual, rotating text objects is bitmapped even if the text is vector, while rotating a layer with a vector text should be without loss of quality - but for me both commands give the same results...

it's like this :

EnableLayers
SetFont("Arial",120) - ttf font Arial
SetFontStyle(#ANTIALIAS)

now i create and display my vector font textobject from:

CreateTextObject(1,"My new text") DisplayTextObject(1,0,0)

And now when I rotate text object like RotateTextObject(1,40) and display it, there's a quality loss which is ok because it's bitmao driven

But I thought that if I used RotateLayer(1,40) that there would be no quality loss but the result is exactly the same as if rotated with RotateTextObject...

So did I get this wrong or it is not possible to rotate vector layer without quality loss in lower resolutions (I use 1366 x 768)

thanks pecaN
airsoftsoftwair

Re: RotateTextObject vs RotateLayer with a vector font text

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

It's both bitmapped. Hollywood currently doesn't support lossless text transformation.
pecaN

Post by pecaN »

Ahaa, thanks :-( :-)

Maybe you should correct it in the manual , RotateLayer command :

"When the specified layer is a vector layer (e.g. circle, polygon, true type text or a rectangle) Hollywood will be able to rotate the layer without any loss in quality because vector graphics can be freely transformed. "

thx pecaN
airsoftsoftwair

pecaN wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:04 pm Maybe you should correct it in the manual , RotateLayer command :

"When the specified layer is a vector layer (e.g. circle, polygon, true type text or a rectangle) Hollywood will be able to rotate the layer without any loss in quality because vector graphics can be freely transformed. "
Well, that statement is true except for text :)
airsoftsoftwair

Code: Select all

- New: RotateTextObject() and ScaleTextObject() support a new optional parameter now which can be used to
  toggle text transformation with anti-aliased interpolation
Doesn't solve the problem that rotation itself is still bitmapped but since font scaling itself is already done on the vector level the graphics quality of rotated text is very good when enabling anti-aliased interpolation.