Rendering Glow Icons

Discuss any general programming issues here
NathanH

Rendering Glow Icons

Post by NathanH » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:12 am

Hi,
I know little about icons. I'm loading stock OS3.9 icons as brushes to display in a dock. They have borders around them which are different colors between different icons. The only way I've found to get id of them is to use, for example, the Transparency=RGB(170,170,170) option. This works fine for icons with a gray border except for icons that also have gray within the icon itself and does not work at all if a different border color is present. Is there a way to read these thinks from the .info file itself as AmigaOS obviously has no problem rendering the icons without the border? Is there a Hollywood function or settings to render them in the same way that AmigaOS does? I won't know in advance which icon (Glow Icon or .png icon) someone may choose to display. Thanks for your help.

NathanH

airsoftsoftwair

Re: Rendering Glow Icons

Post by airsoftsoftwair » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:02 pm

Hollywood itself doesn't have any inbuilt loaders for Amiga icons so I guess those icons are loaded via datatypes. Since all OS 3.x icon formats are palette-based it's not easily possible to do what you want because Hollywood doesn't allow you to make certain pens transparent as it is required by palette images. It would only be possible if Hollywood had direct icon support. This has been on my to do list for a very long time but I haven't started any work on it yet because of the multitude of different Amiga icon formats...

NathanH

Re: Rendering Glow Icons

Post by NathanH » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:26 am

Thanks for the explanation. Look forward to such functionality.

Nathan