Best way to do lots of moving things on screen?

Discuss any general programming issues here
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Best way to do lots of moving things on screen?

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

recedent wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:34 am In the meantime Korni from PPA found that if you delete the TZ (timezone) variable in ENVARC: then everything gets back to normal (that is - fast) speed. Interesting...
He has probably just read Piru's comment to the issue in the ticket I opened in the internal MorphOS bugtracker ;)

Piru has identified the timezone support introduced with MorphOS 3.11 as the reason for the slowness. So it's a feature but I can fix it by using a new API introduced with MorphOS 3.11 but of course existing software using the API in question will be slower because of timezone support introduced with MorphOS 3.11.
airsoftsoftwair

airsoftsoftwair wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:52 pm Piru has identified the timezone support introduced with MorphOS 3.11 as the reason for the slowness. So it's a feature but I can fix it by using a new API introduced with MorphOS 3.11 but of course existing software using the API in question will be slower because of timezone support introduced with MorphOS 3.11.
Rumour has it that the next MorphOS version will also feature an optimized version of that API so existing binaries will get faster :)
airsoftsoftwair

Code: Select all

- Change [MorphOS]: Hollywood uses timer.device's GetUTCSysTime() function now to avoid abysmal slowdowns
  on MorphOS 3.10 and 3.11; on MorphOS 3.12+ the performance is better because of an optimization in
  GetSysTime() but it's still not as fast as it used to be; using GetUTCSysTime() will fix this and make
  Hollywood as fast as it used to be on MorphOS