OOP framework

Discuss any general programming issues here
asrael

Re: OOP framework

Post by asrael »

Really?
Maybe you have more experience.
But I found that Hollywood is very close to Lua. Hollywood makes everything PascalCase, I mean staring with a capital. That's not in Lua.
I think that Hollywood actually only adds things to Lua, like the For loop. Lua doesn't know 'For i = 0 to Xyz' but only 'for i in Xyz'
which is also available in Hollywood.
Then, the fact that classes work as in Lua shows that both are very similar.

In fact I'd wish it would be closer to Lua. I.e. Why do I have to write 'EndFunction' when just 'End' would suffice.
SamuraiCrow

Post by SamuraiCrow »

The internal workings are very similar because Hollywood 2.0 adopted Lua's underpinnings but Hollywood 1.0 was independently developed and yielded less performance. Andreas leveraged open source from Lua to make Hollywood faster but syntax is mostly backward compatible to Hollywood 1.x .
I'm on registered MorphOS using FlowStudio.
SamuraiCrow

Post by SamuraiCrow »

@azrael

Have you looked into this cross-platform ObjectiveC framework? It appears to run on most of the supported platforms of Hollywood including AmigaOS 3.1 and MorphOS. I may model the Hollywood framework after it if it looks good to you.
asrael

Post by asrael »

Yes, I know this framework.
But I'm not sure I understand. This framework doesn't extend the language features, it is an API.
SamuraiCrow

Post by SamuraiCrow »

I want to implement the basic inheritance chain of the framework linked above. My biggest complaints directed toward .NET and Java are their huge frameworks of runtime libraries. Since Hollywood lacks one I want to make a more minimal one that will take less development time. For me, the hardest part of implementing such a runtime framework is knowing precisely what to leave out and which data structures to implement.

Another advantage of using a framework for ObjectiveC is that it may allow me to reimplement my ObjectiveHollywood code in ObjectiveC if the Hollywood interpreter makes performance lag. Also, making a binary plugin version of the framework will speed things up when running object-oriented Hollywood code.
asrael

Post by asrael »

So you want to create something on top of Hollywood that is syntactically similar to Objective-C?
And then create a framework with that?
SamuraiCrow

Post by SamuraiCrow »

@asrael

Eventually, yes. For now, I'm writing a class structure in pure Hollywood but the terms of the Hollywood license don't permit me to create a wrapper for the Hollywood scripting language.

I want to write a visual language editor using RapaGUI and have it export to a compiler that generates raw binary code so I can cross develop for AmigaOS 3.x and AROS 68k without the interpreter getting in the way.
sashapont

Post by sashapont »

Cool! It is great idea!
asrael

Post by asrael »

That sounds like a lot of work. You should be certain have enough time in the next years to maintain this.

Manfred
SamuraiCrow

Post by SamuraiCrow »

Indeed. It's become my life's work. I hope my quest to improve computer literacy worldwide is not a bad idea in the long term.

I've pushed my work-in-progress class.hws file up to my GitHub project. Please post comments in this thread, since it's not a complete work and keep the issue tracker clear for now. Here it is!