New ScuiLib version?

Discuss any general programming issues here
Clyde

Re: New ScuiLib version?

Post by Clyde »

Allanon wrote: About the helvetica font it's quiet simple, you have to edit only the DefaultStandard.hws file where is described the look of the gui...
Just search & replace "helvetica.font" with another font and you are done.
Yep, I am aware of that, but it is no nice solution, imho. :-) So I have to know which font is available in MOS, I have to make different DefaultStandard.hws for every system etc. ...
Allanon wrote: Have you downloaded the latest WIP of ScuiLib? It's inclued support for #SANS & Font caching so you can use built in HW fonts.
This sounds like something I really need (built in HW fonts)! And no, I don't have the latest version. Which one is it? Do you have a link? Thanks a bunch!

Greetings!
Currently using: Hollywood 9 with Windows IDE and Hollywood 9 with Visual Studio Code and hw4vsc
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

Ok,
for those interested here is the link, be aware that not all functions are documented but if you need details you can always look in the source code where you will find many comments.

http://a-mc.biz/HWLibs/scuilib(20110125).zip

@Clyde
Look to this new DefaultStandard... at line 138 you will find some global declarations for the fonts, #SANS is the default font now.

@All
If you need help just ask :)
I will try to answer as soon as I can
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

Thanks a lot, Allanon, works like a charm! I could not test it on MOS, but this will happen soon.

2 remarks for others:
1. Don't forget to call scui.Initialize() at the beginning of your script. This is new to previous ScuiLib version and did cost me some minutes to figure out why I could not compile my old project. :-)
2. 16 as the font size is to big for the standard button sizes etc. imho. I altered it to 14.

Again, thanks for your work.

BTW: is there some kind of drag and drop support in ScuiLib in the meaning of draging graphical objects around (not the drag file onto dialog thing)?

Greetings!
Currently using: Hollywood 9 with Windows IDE and Hollywood 9 with Visual Studio Code and hw4vsc
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Looks good! I'd also like to see a GUI editor for SCUILib... would definitely be very cool and make it much easier to create GUIs :)
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

Happy to see it's working fine for you too :)

About Drag'n'Drop I'll try to insert a new event <OnDrop> attached to scui objects, let me think a bit how to implement it in a simple way :)

Just some little notes:
1. I've writed a new Skin library that will work with ScuiLib, this means that every object can be skinned using multi level skins (some of them are: bevel, gradient, shades, image, pattern, and many, many more...)
2. Next version will have (optionally) buffered objects, this means that the objects will be saved using brushes to reduce the redrawing time and cached objects will be rebuilt only when needed (for example when the window and the GUI is resized). Using cache will improve objects redrawing a LOT! but more memory will be used, this is the deal :D
3. Next version will supports sounds attached to events
4. I'm rewriting scui lib classes but will be compatible with the latest version, I0m trying to do my best to maintain compatibility but can't promise!

EDIT:
I've forgot to say that the new version will be able to deal with backgrounds (optionally), this is necessary to use with gadgets that have an alpha channel active ;)
born2code

Post by born2code »

Hi,

amazing! Will the final release contain new demo guis as well?
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

Yes, I want to make tutorials and documentation for each class available :D
but the final release will not be soon :)
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

Ok, my MOS tester said that HWCC works now perfectly on MOS. :-) So, thanks a lot, Fabio!

But he also said that the hwcc exe's size raised from 1.5 MB to 2.5 MB (didn't recognize that before). I guess this is due to a dramatic raise of ScuiLib's size!? That led me to the thought that it would be nice to have an "Custom ScuiLib Generator", where I can select, which functions/gadgets I want to use in my project and it generates a suitable custom ScuiLib.hws. I thought about doing it myself, but your code is so huge :-) and I don't know about all the dependancies that are in there ...

Greetings!
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

Well, I think that the problem is that ScuiLib is really huge (around 16000 lines)!
But making what you suggest it's not really handy because some classes depends on some root classes...
Default_standard for example is a really big include (around 4000 lines) that could make the exe increase a lot, anyway I will think about your suggestion ;)
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

Sure thing about the root class dependencies. That would be the core that always have to be in there.

Do you know jQuery and jQuery UI? Very nice for web dev, if you have to use JavaScript. And they offer exactly what I would like to see with ScuiLib - look at this: http://jqueryui.com/download
You can choose from all the gadgets and so on what you want to include. There is also a core package which you even can deselect (e.g. you already download the core and 2 gadgets and know you just want to have the code for another gadget). This is quite nice.

However, ScuiLib is great, and if the exe is 1 or 2 MB, I think, nowadays this really doesn't matter that much. But if we could optimize through less code, this wouldn't be bad either.

But a new full version including sample scripts and/or documentation is more important right now. :P :oops: :D