playing mp3 via datatypes doesn't work under MOS

Discuss any general programming issues here
airsoftsoftwair

Re: playing mp3 via datatypes doesn't work under MOS

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

@p-OS:
There is nothing I can do about this. It's a bug in MorphOS. Please report the following to the MorphOS team:

1) Raoui.mp3: NewDTObject() fails on this entirely, i.e. mp3.datatype fails to recognize this one as an MP3.

2) Port Colon.mp3: This one can be loaded but SDTA_SampleLength returns 17280 PCM frames which is about half a second of audio. That's why you can play it with Hollywood but it will immediately stop again because mp3.datatype reports that there is only 0.5 seconds of audio.

AFAIR the MorphOS mp3.datatype is based on a pretty outdated and picky version of FFMPEG which might get things messed up if there are certain extensions in the MP3 like ID3 stuff. But this definitely has to be fixed in MorphOS, not in Hollywood. The reason why it works in Multiview is probably because Multiview uses Reggae which Hollywood currently doesn't support.
p-OS

Post by p-OS »

Thanx for your experiments and your explanations. I dind't know that multiview on MOS ist not purely datatypes based.
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

I don't know if Multiview uses Reggae or not, it's just speculation. It could also be that it uses a different API of sound.datatype. Hollywood uses sound.datatype to get the raw PCM data but there are also higher level APIs that make sound.datatype play the file automatically but Hollywood doesn't use them because it needs to have raw PCM data for its mixer.