Plananarama 1.0 released

Official announcements from the Hollywood team
Bugala

Re: Plananarama 1.0 released

Post by Bugala »

Okay, thanks. I can forget it then for now.

Was mainly wondering if it would be possible for some AGA with some turbocard to be able to run for example the "Kings of Israel" with this plugin, but i guess even 060 wont do then because of the HD graphics.
Allanon

Post by Allanon »

What can I say?

THANK YOU!
:D
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

@Bugala: The problem is that the AGA chipset is limited to 1440x580 pixels maximum resolution. It's a hardware limitation. Scaling down is technically possible but will eat lots of memory and will be slow.
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

Yes, but how slow is it the scaling down process from HD if i have mostly stable pictures, with only one moving piece (board game), or even a slide show with images or otherwise lightweight interactive presentation (in way of Hollywoods presentation when you install new version) but with still images with hot spot areas?

Does it run on any Classic (ie. 060?)

And other thing that are those layers very heavy use for Amiga, that if I make a, say 640x512 game using layers, what can i make? I guess a board game is still doable, but fast scrolling shootemup is out of question?

Or should i not use Layers at all, but instead use for example sprites? (I dont actually remember right from my head what other options HW has but layers, but just guessing sprites)

And how heavily does scaling at all affect the speed. What I am after with this is that 800x600 might be somewhat reasonable target screen size, but AGA is only up to 1440x580, hence that 600 would be needed to be scaled to 580 on Amigas, but would this little scale already be such a heavy duty that it should simply be avoided?
SamuraiCrow

Post by SamuraiCrow »

Bugala wrote:Yes, but how slow is it the scaling down process from HD if i have mostly stable pictures, with only one moving piece (board game), or even a slide show with images or otherwise lightweight interactive presentation (in way of Hollywoods presentation when you install new version) but with still images with hot spot areas?

And other thing that are those layers very heavy use for Amiga, that if I make a, say 640x512 game using layers, what can i make? I guess a board game is still doable, but fast scrolling shootemup is out of question?

Or should i not use Layers at all, but instead use for example sprites? (I dont actually remember right from my head what other options HW has but layers, but just guessing sprites)

And how heavily does scaling at all affect the speed. What I am after with this is that 800x600 might be somewhat reasonable target screen size, but AGA is only up to 1440x580, hence that 600 would be needed to be scaled to 580 on Amigas, but would this little scale already be such a heavy duty that it should simply be avoided?
Keep in mind that in SuperHighResolution graphics on AGA that the blitter struggles to keep up and FBlit will be required anyway. If you could run the software in 640x400x8bit, that would be much more reasonable in terms of performance and bandwidth requirements.

The new Vampire 2 accelerators will be coming out soon, starting with the A600. They support high-color screenmodes in 1080p with 68020 compatibility at 68060+ speeds via FPGA chips and include 128 Megs of RAM. Kings of Israel should be able to run on that, I'd imagine.

@AirsoftSoftwair
I have the assembly source code to FBlit in my GitHub account under a liberal license with permission of the author. Perhaps the next version could directly call fblit.library so that the graphics.library patches will be unnecessary. Of course a custom version of render.library will likely be needed but it should be ok since the source is available on the Aminet with permission of the author to modify it.
I'm on registered MorphOS using FlowStudio.
lazi

Post by lazi »

When I tried to compile a script which has a @REQUIRE "Plananarama" line on OS4 targeted to OS3 it is fail because the requiremented plugin. The plugin is installed to libs:Hollywood.
I am aware of the requireplugins tooltype but wanted to force the plugin usage in the script.

Other issue is that I am failed to download dev/misc/renderlib31.lha from Aminet. It gives me this:
The requested URL /dev/misc/renderlib31.lha was not found on this server.

Andreas, could you reupload that library?

How can I calculate chip ram usage without FBLIT? Should all the @BRUSH, @BGPIC, @SPRITE, @SAMPLE could fit in the chip ram or only just those that displayed?
airsoftsoftwair

Bugala wrote:Yes, but how slow is it the scaling down process from HD if i have mostly stable pictures, with only one moving piece (board game), or even a slide show with images or otherwise lightweight interactive presentation (in way of Hollywoods presentation when you install new version) but with still images with hot spot areas?

If you use layer scale, it might run at an acceptable speed. But it's impossible to make any predictions. Just try it on a Classic.
Bugala wrote: And other thing that are those layers very heavy use for Amiga, that if I make a, say 640x512 game using layers, what can i make? I guess a board game is still doable, but fast scrolling shootemup is out of question?
Well, yeah, a scrolling shoot-em-up is probably not possible on a real Amiga.
Bugala wrote: Or should i not use Layers at all, but instead use for example sprites? (I dont actually remember right from my head what other options HW has but layers, but just guessing sprites)
Layers are ok and layer scaling is faster than autoscaling because autoscaling will scale on every frame which will really kill the performance if you scale down from full HD.
Bugala wrote: And how heavily does scaling at all affect the speed. What I am after with this is that 800x600 might be somewhat reasonable target screen size, but AGA is only up to 1440x580, hence that 600 would be needed to be scaled to 580 on Amigas, but would this little scale already be such a heavy duty that it should simply be avoided?
Just try it to get an impression.
SamuraiCrow wrote: I have the assembly source code to FBlit in my GitHub account under a liberal license with permission of the author. Perhaps the next version could directly call fblit.library so that the graphics.library patches will be unnecessary. Of course a custom version of render.library will likely be needed but it should be ok since the source is available on the Aminet with permission of the author to modify it.
Not very likely because things are already pretty complicated with render.library. There are already two versions (one in assembler, one in C) and a third one would make the confusion complete. I think people on planar systems use FBlit anyway so I can just leave it as it is.
airsoftsoftwair

lazi wrote:When I tried to compile a script which has a @require "Plananarama" line on OS4 targeted to OS3 it is fail because the requiremented plugin. The plugin is installed to libs:Hollywood.
I am aware of the requireplugins tooltype but wanted to force the plugin usage in the script.
Are you using the OS3 version or the OS4 version of Hollywood? Keep in mind that the OS4 version of Hollywood cannot open 68k plugins. You have to use the OS3 version to use 68k plugins.
Other issue is that I am failed to download dev/misc/renderlib31.lha from Aminet. It gives me this:
The requested URL /dev/misc/renderlib31.lha was not found on this server. Andreas, could you reupload that library?
Works here. Maybe a temporary issue? Try again.
How can I calculate chip ram usage without FBLIT? Should all the @brush, @bgpic, @sprite, @sample could fit in the chip ram or only just those that displayed?
No, without FBlit every brush, bgpic, sprite, etc. will be stored in chip ram so you'll usually run out of memory really quickly (unless you are very economical with your resources).
lazi

Post by lazi »

Thanks Andreas, it is working now.

Forgive me, but first i tried in the latest Amikit whatevertheycalled usb drive booted emulation. OS 3.9 KS 3.1.
The script has a display mode="ask", the resolution is 320x200. Plananarama is set up in the tooltype.

When the WB is displayed on a P96 screen, my script always complaining that it cannot run on planar screens no matter what I select for screenmode.

When the WB is PAL 640x512, the script is starts in window and run nicely, but "Unable to open window" at full screen(best fit). When I manual select PAL 640x256 it just tells that it does not run on palette screens!

The performance seems to be better than I hoped for :)
Well done!

Now I'd like to have some time to try on my good old real Miggy...
airsoftsoftwair

You're right, there are problems when using "Ask" display mode because Hollywood tries to assign high/true colour modes which Plananarama won't take. I'll see if I can fix this. As a workaround, just don't use the "Ask" display mode but arguments like FULLSCREEN, SCRWIDTH, SCRHEIGHT etc. This should work.