Howitzer Duel

Show off your project created with Hollywood
JuMA

Howitzer Duel

Post by JuMA »

Hello

As a first coding project (excluding hello world type stuff) I made a c64 artillery duel inspired game. Download link below if anyone wants to have a look. Playtesting has been minimal so bugs may occur...

http://alaniemi.net/hd

airsoftsoftwair

Re: Howitzer Duel

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Is that Mount Everest? :)
JuMA

Post by JuMA »

airsoftsoftwair wrote:Is that Mount Everest? :)
I dunno, might be..
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

Even there is a good chance I will never start this again, I enjoyed very much for the little moment I played this little game.

Otherwise is pretty much the usual little game to make to make something, but soundscape is actually pretty well built in that like first the bullet goes up, and when it reaches the point it starts going downwards, we get another sound (falling sound) to listen to.

Similarly it was nice having the edward grieg for the moment when level is generated and when that ends comes the short audio telling it is war.

And background image made a big difference to the looks of the game making it look just so much better and also gave it a feel of it had been made with hollywood in a positive sense.

But one thing I would have hoped had been bit faster moving bullets, it took bit too long waiting for the bullets to arrive their targets.

Good job on that one!
JuMA

Post by JuMA »

Thanks for the comments. It was nice little project to make, but caused lot of head scratching since I have very little experience in coding. Learned a lot though.
jPV

Post by jPV »

Nice practise coding, it indeed gives me Artillery Duel vibe :)

If it'd be more serious game, you should pick transitions less randomly, some of those are a bit too heavy for that resolution, at least under MorphOS.

And another more important thing, you have these files:
howitzerduel.exe
Howitzerduel.info
...and it's wrong. You should have either:
howitzerduel.exe
Howitzerduel.exe.info
...or:
howitzerduel
Howitzerduel.info

.info should alway be added to exact and complete filename, otherwise it doesn't work.
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

Maybe week ago I was at my computer when my daughter comes to me and says "Can I play that cannon game where you have to hit 3 times to win". I immediatelly realised she was talking about Howitzer duel, so i started it and she spent maybe one hour playing it.

Seems you have your first fan.
JuMA

Post by JuMA »

Bugala wrote:Maybe week ago I was at my computer when my daughter comes to me and says "Can I play that cannon game where you have to hit 3 times to win". I immediatelly realised she was talking about Howitzer duel, so i started it and she spent maybe one hour playing it.

Seems you have your first fan.
Nice :) Say hello to her for me. Just noticed that HD somehow ended up at AmigaFuture news page. Guess I have to fix couple of bugs...