2PICPUZZLE

Show off your project created with Hollywood
HelmutH

Re: 2PICPUZZLE

Post by HelmutH »

Hi pecaN
Thanks for the demo version that you are sent to me. 8-)
Fine, it works, after a little changes from my site, that would be:
1. set the execute flag (please can you add this in the final version)
2. get an error "can't find the picture", because the "pix" folder was not available in the demo,
3. please can you change the archive from .rar to .lha, I think that will more used under the Amiga users
These are my points that I noticed in the demo.

I have made some test runs and get no crashes, great work from you ! Image

And yes the hard version is already violent.
greeting Helmut
pecaN

Post by pecaN »

Ok, thanks for your tests and reply!

1) Weel, this executable flag makes me really upset, I think I missed something in the Hollywood documentation... When I compiled the game for os4 and then checked the archive in Workbench 3.1 under AmigaForever it shows that "Executable" flag is set so I don't understand it... but if the game works after you set it manually i think it's just a matter of a few seconds and it's no problem I hope...

2) I don't understand this point, how did you get that error??? What exactly did you do before this error appeared???

3) well I should find a way how to make a lha achive on Win7 or under Amiga Forever but again : I won't release this version probably, it's only for you and as far as i know MorphOS and OS4 have no problems with rar archives...

thank you for a nice screenshot, so now give me some time to finish the game... :-)
HelmutH wrote:Hi pecaN
Thanks for the demo version that you are sent to me. 8-)
Fine, it works, after a little changes from my site, that would be:
1. set the execute flag (please can you add this in the final version)
2. get an error "can't find the picture", because the "pix" folder was not available in the demo,
3. please can you change the archive from .rar to .lha, I think that will more used under the Amiga users
These are my points that I noticed in the demo.

I have made some test runs and get no crashes, great work from you ! Image

And yes the hard version is already violent.
pecaN

Post by pecaN »

Sent you a new test version, now you can choose any picture from any drawer on your disk ! Hope that the executable flag is set now, Amiga Forever says it is...!!

you can also try some pictures that are not 640 x 480, the game should now scale it to 640 x 480...

!!! WARNING - PLEASE TEST SOME JPEG PICTURES, AS I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH SOME OF THEM - SOME JPGs ARE ok BUT SOME DON'T WORK AND THE GAME CRASHES :-( DON'T KNOW WHY !!! :-(
HelmutH

Post by HelmutH »

Hello pecaN
Many thanks for your fast work on the Final version. 8-)
1) to set the execute flag is done in 3 clicks, so not a realy problem. And yes in your new version is the execute flag set ;).
2) after the unzip, I had all pictures in the first folder and no "pix" folder. I have add a "pix" folder and moved all test picture in this folder and now, after this change, runs your game. But in your new version is this done.
3) no you must not change the archive format from .rar to .lha, that was only a suggestion from my site, because I thinks that .lha is more used from the Amiga community

Yes, I will send you a screenshot and test the version with .jpeg pictures and give you answer, if my sytem crashed or not.
And the scaling funktion works very well. :)
But one point I have found in this version that is not correct works, that is, if you start the programm and the requester is opened and the user will not open a picture, than you can not stop the requester. In this case is the programm is in a loop.
greeting Helmut
pecaN

Post by pecaN »

Great! :-) So if I understand the game works ok so now I should do only some final gfx arrangements. Thank you for your game screenshots, you chose really interesting pictures for the hard difficulty ! :-) You should be careful when choosing pictures, because if there's for example large section of the blue sky on the picture, you can have more tiles that look the same but for the game they are not the same and you can have problems to complete them :-)

About the requester : THIS IS NOT A BUG!! I apologize I forgot to tell you. I made it so because without choosing a picture the game would have no sense and would crash. So I coded this like this that you simply MUST choose a picture and the requester will keep on bothering you until you do so :-) If you have any idea hot to change it (maybe If a player clicked "Cancel" the game would return to the main screen?) but I think this would be useless because I expect that when you start the game you want to play it :-)

And I also forgot to tell you that you can exit to Workbench anytime just by presing ESC so you can test it also...

pecaN
HelmutH

Post by HelmutH »

Hello pecaN
Yes, your special version for me is running very well. Many thanks again for your work.
But that was my reason, why I have contact you, so that it becomes a little more difficult.
And the idea of ​​you there to install the 3 difficulty levels was great.
And yes, you have right with the requester, if I start the game, then I want play the game and not stopped.
And the ESC function is also working. ;)
greeting Helmut
pecaN

Post by pecaN »

SO !!! I've just sent you the final version of YOUR game, hope it works OK !

1) made some final gfx arrangements, I do apologise for just simple gfx but I am a coder and a musician but DEFINITELY NOT a gfxman :-) all my games are very graphically
simple...

2) I also corrected very funny bug about which I totally forgot earlier... in the previous versions I sent you you can choose the same picture for game picture 1 and game picture 2 :-) you can try it, it looks funny but I think you would never complete them :-) so now it's fixed.

And the last words, thank you for your nice interest in my simple game, it was honour for me to make it better for you !!! :-) working with Hollywood is really a pleasure and I've gained more practice and experience when working on your game :)

so I hope you will have some fun with it !!! Regards pecaN
HelmutH

Post by HelmutH »

Very nice pecaN.
Your very own personal final version for me is running very well.
Also the little bug with the same pictures is fixed.
And your little changes with the graphics on the startwindow is more beautiful, so in the old version. Thank, that it was a honour for you, to make your game better, after my suggesions.
Now you can publish this version for the Amiga community, so that they can also participate in your improved version ;).

If you have time and desire, to make more practice and experience, then you can try again bigger pictures in the formats:
SVGA 800x600, XGA 1024×768, or WXGA 1280×800.

Many thanks again for your work. I am looking forward to your next projects ;)
greeting Helmut
pecaN

Post by pecaN »

Great, so everything has come to a good end! :-) so enjoy the game :-)

Now I will probably take some rest from coding and do something else... :-)

pecaN
HelmutH wrote:Very nice pecaN.
Your very own personal final version for me is running very well.
Also the little bug with the same pictures is fixed.
And your little changes with the graphics on the startwindow is more beautiful, so in the old version. Thank, that it was a honour for you, to make your game better, after my suggesions.
Now you can publish this version for the Amiga community, so that they can also participate in your improved version ;).

If you have time and desire, to make more practice and experience, then you can try again bigger pictures in the formats:
SVGA 800x600, XGA 1024×768, or WXGA 1280×800.

Many thanks again for your work. I am looking forward to your next projects ;)