Possibly some bug in 64-bit win 7.

Report any Hollywood bugs here
Bugala

Possibly some bug in 64-bit win 7.

Post by Bugala »

This is very vagues bug report since i have nothing concrete to give.

But I made this half a game for Christian Developers Speedgame competition, and from two random people i asked, they both reproted having 64-bit windows 7 and game not working on their machine. However, when second guy mentioned me on cdn irc room that game didint work and i pointed out it might be win7 64-bit, then third guy noticed that and said he had played the game on 64-bit win7 just fine.

I am trying to look into this more, but so far it seems there have been problem only with 64-bit win7. And my best guess is that it is a Hollywood problem. This program does use basis plugin, but it crashes at point when there is no basis code yet involved.

My game is divided into three parts.

1. The title scree/instruction - this one worked. click mouse to continue and it contineus to part 2
2. Main dungeon where you choose your quests and have inventory
3. Quests, which have basis.

Crash ahppesn after clicking mousebutton on part1, which means it happens between 1 and 2, and not a single line of basis plugin is executed until part 3.

My best guess is that it has something to do with events and or buttons. Since that main dungeon part uses waitevent and buttons mainly.

Have you got any reports regarding this kind of problem before?
Juan Carlos

Re: Possibly some bug in 64-bit win 7.

Post by Juan Carlos »

No I not found problems in this, and I use Windows 7 with my netbook, but there are problems playing sounds, because if you are using a sample and before to finish it you play other sample the game or project crashed, this is a big problem, because if you are make a game with background sounds and sounds to the action games, the crash is sure.
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

That sound problem I think is not so much a big than a machine limit and Anrea giving too much control to users.

I beleive that sound issue is that everytime you play a sample, if previous one(s) are not played till end yet, it will try to allocate another channel for the next sample to avoid interruption of the previous one.

In modern machines i guess, this is done through mixing several samples to same channel or something, so when you have say 100 samples all playing at same time, even modern machnes tend to crash.

But you can get around this problem by making your own playsample function, simple example about the idea:

Code: Select all

function p_myplaysample(samplenumber)

if issampleplaying(samplenumber) = true
   stopsample(samplenumber)

playsample(samplenumber)
This code would make it so that each sample is played during game only once. This naturally wont solve much yet, especially if same sample should be played several times at same time, or if different samples are played at same time, but this gives you bit of the idea how to get around that soundproblem.

Another still simple way is to decide how many samples can be played at max. example:

Code: Select all

samples_played_table = {}

function p_myplaysample(samplenumber)

myvirtualaudiochannel = myvirtualaudiochannel + 1
if my virtualaudiochannel > 4 then myvirtualaudiochannel = 1

if issampleplaying(  samples_played_table[ myvirtualaudiochannel ] ) 

stopsample( samples_played_table[ myvirtualaudiochannel ] )

playsample(samplenumber)

samples_played_table[ myvirtualaudiochannel] = samplenumber

endfunction

Now you basically have 4 audio channels, or by other words, at max for different samples playing at same time. This however still has one problem. If audio 1 and audio 4 are both playing same sample, then when one or other is being checked, they will both be stopped i guess.
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

I wrote codes like your and the result is the crash, and it isn't solution, because I need background sounds and front, for example to make a war shot game.
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

The solution will be play the samples in several audio cahnnels as the modern WIndows game, for example Cal of Duty, BattleField, etc.,
airsoftsoftwair

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

It's unlikely that it has anything to do with the 64-bit version of Win7 because I'm using this version myself :) Unfortunately, I can't help you more because the description is just too vague. I'd need some example code that can reproduce the issue.
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

I knew this was very vague bug report, especially since there is not much idea what the cause of the bug is, and no handy way to find it out.

But I anyway thought I report about it in case there comes more bug reports like this. For after all, it was only those two people, both with 64-bit win7, that reported it not to work, although both you and one other guy mentioned it did work with his 64-bit win7. Maybe it is some software they both have installed that somehow conflicts with Hollywood. That is at least case with my Skype, I cant use Skype to send anything else but Smileys, because I have had Youtube video downloader installed on my machine, and for some odd reasons those youtube video downloaders prevent skype from working right.