Some Video Library Issues with Windows

Report any Hollywood bugs here
PEB

Some Video Library Issues with Windows

Post by PEB »

I've been experimenting a bit with playing videos through Hollywood, and I noticed a couple of things that work fine on my Amiga, but not when I compile my scripts to run on my x64 Windows machine:

1) Playing a video on top of a background that has an alpha-channel doesn't seem to work correctly (sound is played but no video is displayed). If I do not load the alpha-channel of the BGPIC, then the video plays as it should.

2) Playing a video (through the Native Loader) on a pure Hollywood display if another display (same program) is using RapaGUI doesn't work. I can understand if the display using RapaGUI components can't display the video through a Hollywood widget; but I thought that opening a fresh Hollywood display should play the video fine. (Yes, using the AVCodec Hollywood plugin works; but I'd like to use the Native loader.)

Again, these problems do not appear on my Amiga---only on Windows.
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Some Video Library Issues with Windows

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

PEB wrote: 1) Playing a video on top of a background that has an alpha-channel doesn't seem to work correctly (sound is played but no video is displayed). If I do not load the alpha-channel of the BGPIC, then the video plays as it should.
Is that using the OS video driver or avcodec.hwp? The OS video driver is based on DirectShow and it probably doesn't work with windows that use alpha transparency because those use some special tricks.
2) Playing a video (through the Native Loader) on a pure Hollywood display if another display (same program) is using RapaGUI doesn't work. I can understand if the display using RapaGUI components can't display the video through a Hollywood widget; but I thought that opening a fresh Hollywood display should play the video fine. (Yes, using the AVCodec Hollywood plugin works; but I'd like to use the Native loader.)
It won't work using the native loader. The problem is that when RapaGUI is active even normal Hollywood displays will be managed by RapaGUI instead of Hollywood's default display handler. The same is true for GL Galore and RebelSDL. The OS native video renderer based on DirectShow on Windows and AVFoundation on Mac OS is only supported with Hollywood's default display handler, though. For plugin display handlers you currently have to use Hollywood's video renderer.
Again, these problems do not appear on my Amiga---only on Windows.
That's because on Amiga there is no OS-based video renderer :-)