Modal requesters are ghosts on GNU/Linux

Report any Hollywood bugs here
amiga23

Modal requesters are ghosts on GNU/Linux

Post by amiga23 »

On current 64bit GNU/Linux with Xwayland I do have an issue with modal requesters like
SystemRequest() and FileRequest()

They open normally on top of the display and centered. When moving the mouse over buttons, they get highlighted. But I can not click nowhere on these requesters. All clicks go through them and reach the display, window or the desktop behind the requester.
Also keyboard interaction is not possible. Even on the title bar I can not click. Only with Alt+Tab / CMD+Tab I can bring the hollywood display with the requester on top back into the foreground, with focus and highlight of buttons when moving the mouse over it, but no chance to click anything.

This can easily be tested with the HollyAmp Example.
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Modal requesters are ghosts on GNU/Linux

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

I haven't tested Hollywood on Xwayland at all. Is there any Linux distribution which has a live image and uses Xwayland so I could try it here by booting it from USB?
amiga23

Re: Modal requesters are ghosts on GNU/Linux

Post by amiga23 »

I narrowed down the issue.
It only happens if "Attached Modal Dialogs" is enabled, which seems to be default, at least on ArchLinux. But only in combination with xwayland.
On my older ArchLinux system, still using Xorg, it does not happen, no matter if "Attached Modal Dialogs" is enabled or not.

With xwayland and "Attached Modal Dialogs" turned off it works fine.

So from my point of view this issue is solved, as "Attached Modal Dialogs" seems to be a very anoying feature nobody needs, especially in combination with the Eclipse IDE.

You find "Attached Modal Dialogs" in the "Tweak Tool" for the Gnome desktop.

Unfortuneatly ArchLinux does not provide a Graphical Live Image. But Fedora 25 has a live image which seems to use xwayland. I will test with that one and report back.