MoveLayer {speed} too fast?

Report any Hollywood bugs here
Bugala

MoveLayer {speed} too fast?

Post by Bugala »

This is a bad bug report, because I am not giving repeatable code.

In my Kings of Israel game, when new cards are took from one of the decks, I am using "MoveLayer" command. In practice this command is same in each of the decks, except that start co-ordinate changes (done before this line), example:
[codeMoveLayer(layname$, #USELAYERPOSITION, #USELAYERPOSITION, carddata.centerofscreenx + ( (carddata.zoomwidth-carddata.width) / 2), carddata.centerofscreeny + ( (carddata.zoomheight-carddata.height) / 2), { speed=carddata.movingspeed})
][/code]

Thing is, despite the moving speed being same on each movelayer (carddata.movingspeed, which is installed at beginning of game and never touched again) when moving "resource" decks cards, card moves much faster than the rest. So fast, that it immediatelly reaches the center and i first thought i had given wrong co-ordinates somehow.

however, when i changed "1" instead of "carddata.movingspeed, i noticed it was still moving at speed of perhaps 20. I tried changing other decks speed to "1" and they were crawling, as expected, but if i do it with that resource decks "movelayer" command, the speed is about same as using 20 on other decks.

I have no idea when this behavior have started. I only noticed it now, but it might have been there for a long time since i wouldnt have necessarily paid attention to that as cards are moving fast by purpose and hence i might not have noticed if some cards are right away at center screen without specifically paying attention to it.

I am using Hollywood 5.3.

Any idea what could be causing this?

I dont necessarily need fix to this, since I can simply use that speed=1 since it moves at right speed then anyway, just would be cleaner that each card would be using carddata.movingspeed so that if wanted to change the speed, it would change them alls.
airsoftsoftwair

Re: MoveLayer {speed} too fast?

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Sorry, no idea, I'd need to see a very small code snippet in order to comment on it.
Bugala

Re: MoveLayer {speed} too fast?

Post by Bugala »

I sent this report more in way of if others experience it too so you know such thing is happening.

I havent tried this with different machines, so i cant be sure if it is Windows specific problem, but if it seems that way, then i might try to hunt down what triggers it. For now i just leave it to just reporting about it.

Code is currently 5 000 lines in total, hence im not planning to start hunting down the exact cause as it could be anything.