resizeability

Discuss GUI programming with the MUI Royale plugin here
GMKai

resizeability

Post by GMKai »

Hello,
I have a quite complex project running for some time,
and i came across the point, where my GUI-definition got very complex.
I have a nested group with activated pagemode.
In these groups there are only further groups, text and buttons...
By tweaking the XML I now have resizeablity back for x-axis, but currently none of the pages is resizeable on th y-axis.
Does nesting groups somehow affect resizeability?

What can be done to get a fully resizeable window?

At what corners should I take a deeper look?
airsoftsoftwair

Re: resizeability

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

There must be a group within your page group that blocks resizing on the y axis. You can change this by inserting padding using <rectangle> objects, i.e. something like this:

Code: Select all

<vgroup>
<rectangle/>
</vgroup>
If you don't know where to insert this, please post screenshots of all the individual page groups.... then I might be able to tell which group is blocking resizing on the y axis.
GMKai

Post by GMKai »

Ok, fine, this made the GUI resizeable now.
But, isn't there a rule or something to not just have <rectangle/> padded everywhere, but only in necessary places?
Or the other way round, where do I have to include <rectangle/> and where could it just be optional?
airsoftsoftwair

Of course, there is a rule :) You only need to use <rectangle> padding for objects that are *not* resizable by themselves. A listview, for example, is resizable in all directions so you never need to use <rectangle> padding if there is a listview in your group. A button, on the other hand, is only resizable in horizontal direction, not in vertical direction. So if there are only objects in your group that are *not* vertically resizable, you need to use <rectangle> padding. If there is a listview and a button in the same group, you won't have to use <rectangle> padding because the listview will use all the newly available space on resizing.

It's pretty much all described here: http://www.hollywood-mal.com/docs/html/ ... ngine.html

MUI will ask every object in a group about its dimensions and if there are only objects in your group that are not resizable or that are only resizable in a single direction, then you need to use <rectangle> for padding because MUI needs to have an object that can take up the new space that is made available on window resize.
GMKai

Post by GMKai »

Thank you for clarification.
So <button> might not be resizeable, giving the described behaviour.
Is there a list of elements blocking resizeability as well?
Currently I know <label> is also blocking, any other element?
airsoftsoftwair

Currently I know <label> is also blocking, any other element?
Sure, from the top of my head... AFAIR the following MUI objects are only resizable on the x-axis. If you want the window to be resizable vertically too, you need to use padding:

<button>
<cycle>
<popxxxx>
<radio>
<scale>
<slider>
<string>
<text>
<toolbar>

There may be more, you just have to try...