Menu under Linux

Find quick help here to get you started with Hollywood
void

Menu under Linux

Post by void »

Hi guys, it is my first post here, and I have a question.

I've written simple game with system menu (created by @MENU, attached by @DISPLAY). I have it working on MorphOS, and Windows 8, but on Linux app is running, but no menu is visible. I've tried Openbox and Gnome 3 on Debian, without luck. Any idea to get menu working here? I will provide some code if it helps, but maybe someone has same issue? I am using Hollywood 6.1
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Menu under Linux

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Menus aren't supported on Linux yet. The problem is that X11 doesn't have any menu support at all and using GTK isn't an option because that would mean turning all Hollywood displays into GTK windows. The only solution I see is to do something via the D-Bus API but I haven't looked closer into this so far and I don't know how portable this would be but it's on the agenda.
airsoftsoftwair

Four years later and I think this is technically impossible. Hollywood is an X11 application and there is no way to add a menu to such an application without using GTK+ windows.

I've got a new idea, though: RapaGUI could make this possible. Since the next Hollywood SDK will also allow display adapters to hook into Hollywood's menu handler RapaGUI could easily be used to workaround this limitation by effectively transforming the X11 app to a GTK+ app without users even noticing. This might be the best solution for this problem.
airsoftsoftwair

This is now implemented. This finally solves the missing menu support on Linux! So starting with RapaGUI 2.0 you can just use RapaGUI to get menu support on Linux too.

Code: Select all

- New: RapaGUI now also supports menus attached to normal Hollywood displays using the menu library that
  is part of Hollywood; this can be very useful on Linux because Hollywood doesn't support menus on Linux
  because it is a purely X11 application on Linux; by using RapaGUI, however, your app will be turned into
  a GTK application and GTK apps support menus of course so this is an easy and convenient way to get menu
  support on Linux too!