Find quick help here to get you started with Hollywood
Bugala

How to use any screen mode?

Post by Bugala »

As i just switched my program to

Code: Select all

@display mode="ask"
I noticed there a problem.

If i choose WIndow from asking, it works fine, but if i choose either "Full Screen (best fit)" or "Full Screen (manual select)", it will give me an error saying: "opening display... Error opening screen!".

What things affect wether i can open my game in full screen modes or not, since i have no clue where the problem is.
airsoftsoftwair

Re: How to use any screen mode?

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

What system is this on? What is the resolution of your display? Post a complete code snippet please.
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

Original code, which is 8 000 lines in size bugs in both Windows 10 and Amiga OS4, however, i notice even this small piece of code fails on windows 10 machine as well, and i suppose also on Amiga OS4:

EscapeQuit(True)
@DISPLAY {Mode="ask"}

Repeat
TextOut(100, 100, "hello error")	
Forever
airsoftsoftwair

Ok, this is a well-known problem on Windows 10 which has already been posted several times. See here:
http://forums.hollywood-mal.com/viewtop ... f=4&t=1170

Only Windows 10 is affected. It doesn't occur on other platforms.
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

Okay, i tried it with my Sam440 and it worked, while Win10 failed.

however, that 8000 lines of code program does the same on SAM440 as well.

Before trying to isolate the problem, is it so that function definitions itself dont affect anything until they are used?

What i am after with this is, that since first graphics on screen is when title screen is loaded, i suppose everything that happens only after that title screen is displayed can be forgotten, including functions that havent been used by that time yet, right?

If it is so, i believe i can cut the program down to some reasonable size to isolate what causes the AOS4 to behave same way as Win10.

and i also suppsoe loading graphics with #BRUSH and other similars cant affect behavior either as long as they are not used?
airsoftsoftwair

Sure, Hollywood doesn't care about any functions or brushes you don't use. In particular, there is no way those could affect something related to the screen mode. At least under normal circumstances ;)
Bugala

Post by Bugala »

I probably found the "bug", for i just realised the error message on AOS4 is different from WIN10, which gives actual error.

In AOS4 it says: "Cannot find an appropriate screen mode for this display!"

@DISPLAY line goes following:

@DISPLAY {Width = 1920, Height = 1080, Borderless = True, ScaleMode = #SCALEMODE_AUTO, FitScale=True, sizeable=True, Mode="ask"}
I suppose the "bug" is that I am using 1920x1080, and since my Sams gfx card can only get up to 1440 x 900 it cant start it.

But this raises a question; for so far i have thought that by using that "ScaleMode = #SCALEMODE_AUTO", program can be opened to any screenmode and it would simply scale all the images to right size, but i guess it isnt so after all?

Is it so that there is never Scaling used with screenmodes, or is there some other command/argument that i can use to get it done?
airsoftsoftwair

Right, I can reproduce this. Seems like a bug. I'll fix this.