Windows smart screen and signed apps

Find quick help here to get you started with Hollywood
zylesea

Windows smart screen and signed apps

Post by zylesea »

Here's a rather Windows related issue...
When i compile a program for Windows, save it on usb stick and put that stick to a Windows computer it just runs that program w/o complaining. But put on my website and trying to download Chrome (or is it Windows itself? or McAfee?) tells me it's a suspicious download. If I ignore that warning and doubleclick the icon the Win 8 smart screen also tries to convince me that this application is not trustful and by default refuses to run the program. Is that due a lack of code signing? But if so, why does it run w/o complaining from the usb drive? How does Windows discern the downloaded version from the non downloaded version (even non packed)..? Anyone an idea?
airsoftsoftwair

Re: Windows smart screen and signed apps

Post by airsoftsoftwair »

Yes, you'll get these warnings because Hollywood generated executables are not code-signed. To code-sign executables you need to sign up with Microsoft and pay a yearly fee which starts at a whopping $99 AFAIR. It is possible to code-sign Hollywood executables using Microsoft tools. So if you have purchased a certificate, you can use Microsoft tools to apply the certificate to executables generated by Hollywood and the warning will go away, see here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2522 ... s-exe-file

Here is some more information on the smartscreen filter:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1553 ... d-of-money

These warnings definitely come from the OS itself, not from Chrome, although Chrome also has its own filter AFAIK. I don't know how Windows tracks which files were downloaded from the Internet but it's certainly not black magic to do this.